Mr.g

What line for closing loops?

Fashions for closing loops tend to follow fashions in main suspension lines. The logic is that when your main lines wear out, you can recycle them as closing loops.
Gutted 550 cord was the fashion for main closing loops for decades.
500 pound Dacron was fashionable for a while.
Now 800 to 1500 pound Spectra is the current fashion, but that will probably shift to HMA in another few years.
We will probably have to invent a new knot or new washer to secure HMA loops to existing containers.
Hee!
Hee!

Gutted type II seems to be the norm, although I use type V on my racer tandem and my own personal gear. Type V also lasts longer and you won't need a washer.

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

In years gone by, spectra was frowned upon because it was felt that it was too "slippery" and didn't offer enough friction to keep a pin from being prematurely extracted. I have to say, that after using spectra line for closing loops, it has worked fine on both my tandem rig and my sport rigs for many years. I make sure that the loop is of proper length so that it is nice and tight when closed. And unlike any type of gutted 550 or the like, spectra will far outlast those materials.