tetra316

Gardening question

So I decided to start a garden this year from seedlings. I started tomatoes, basil, eggplant and peppers inside. After less than a week the tomatoes and basil have sprouted but nothing yet on the eggplant and peppers after a week and a half. How long do they take? Also are you really supposed to cut down the seedlings to one per slot or wait to do that once you plant outside?

Not all fruits and vegies germinate that the same times.
Some have longer germination periods and some will only germinate at certain times of the year:)Research each plant you want to grow and check the season growing periods

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yeah I second that...but as someone who has horticulture experience, I would say there are various ways to germinate seeds...some of which shouldn't be placed into the soil until after they've germinated. One of the best ways to germinate seeds is to put them in a wet paper towel, then enclose in a ziploc bag and leave out in the sun for a few days...once you see sprouts eminating from the seedlings you can insert into the soil. Besides you might want to check out this cool mini garden its called an Aero Garden. It can be done inside your house and it costs about a hundred bucks.

So I decided to start a garden this year from seedlings. I started tomatoes, basil, eggplant and peppers inside. After less than a week the tomatoes and basil have sprouted but nothing yet on the eggplant and peppers after a week and a half. How long do they take? Also are you really supposed to cut down the seedlings to one per slot or wait to do that once you plant outside?

Some seeds need different temperatures to sprout but you'll have to wait longer for most plants. There's actually a lot to learn about soil before you get good results but for now just take what you get and don't be discouraged. A lot of times you'll do something wrong and it'll ruin your results for that year. For example, I garden on what is nearly a commercial scale and lost several hundred tomato plants last year because I didn't trim and stake them soon enough and they got blighted very quickly because of the rain.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

With regards to thinning plants... I always used to thin when the plants were in plug trays, but stopped doing that this year with excellent success. When you transplant, handle the seedlings very carefully by holding the leaves, not the stem or roots. You can use something like a butter knife to separate the roots.

Some plants do take a long time to germinate, check and make sure you've got the temperatures right. You may also put plastic wrap around the seed tray to keep things moist and humid. Check on light requirements as well - some plants need light, others need dark during germination.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham