futuredivot

Virus Help

I'm trying to remember if this is the same as what I went through last year. It was a PITA.

Probably not, I think my virus was called "System Security". It would pop up saying my computer was infected and to purchase supposed virus cleaning program or something but it was bullshit. Had to go into some obscure folders and remove certain specific files. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

To disable the service, use the services mmc snapin (right click My Computer, Manage, then drill down to services) and stop the Windows Defender Service. To avoid it starting at next boot, you can set the service's startup type to disabled.
---------------------------------------------------------
Or start>run>services.msc

Also if you still want to remove it...it could require you to get into the registry and manually remove keys associated with defender...let me do more research and I'll let you know.

I've had a couple of incidences with this too... it only seems to happen when I visit WAYN.com where as soon as I enter the site it pops up asking if I want to use Windows online scanner and seems to connect to that site even though I the first time I clicked cancel and the second I tried to close the box. I have simply disconnected and shut all internet windows each time.

I'm hoping it's a problem with the WAYN site rather than my laptop (maybe a bit of head in the sand attitude) but AVG is not detecting anything and I don't seem to be having any other problems.

download, update, run, repeat.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

works very well, even the free version.

^^
This.

Removes the one you have with ease. Empty your temporary internet folders first.

If you haven't fallen for it and clicked on the pop up and followed it's instructions, you're still ok. If you did, well, install, update, then run malwarebytes a couple times.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I've use Macs since the 80s. What exactly does a computer virus look like? I've never gotten one. :)
Joe

Actual photo of one:
http://findmeapirate.com/Pages/Shoulda%20been%20a%20pirate/Images/bill%20gates%20stupid.jpg
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.