hottamaly

Lap top help

I'm looking into purchasing my first lap top and know nothing about how they work. Meaning about WiFi vs whatever. I don't want to use a dsl line but want the speed of DSL. Could someone explain what is best to use and maybe a good brand and model to look at?

I'm used to windows and don't know if I would have trouble understanding MAC. I'm not stupid but not real quick on the computer lingo or applications.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

First things first; what are you going to use the laptop for? Internet surfing, video games, graphics, writing, email?

Don't say all of the above. Tell me the primary purpose.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Some fan boy you are!

Our friend posts again in Bonfire for the first time in a long time and you ask questions. We all know that you'll just recommend a Mac Book or an iTouch Stretch...err...iPad.

:D:P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm looking into purchasing my first lap top and know nothing about how they work. Meaning about WiFi vs whatever. I don't want to use a dsl line but want the speed of DSL. Could someone explain what is best to use and maybe a good brand and model to look at?

Where do you live?

Most laptops come with Wi-Fi built in. Setting up a wireless router is pretty simple. Do you not want DSL because you don't want to plug in? No issue. Most DSL routers have a wireless capability to them. If you don't want any of that, then look and see if Clearwire has service in your area. That would likely require use of a PCM/CIA slot.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I use my desk top for my financial books (quicken) and for going online to play poker. My computer right now (on DSL) is so slow (and yes, I use clean up kits) that the time lag is frustrating. I'd like to be able to carry it to places without worrying about "plugging it in". I just don't know what "cards" or processors or whatever to ask for. I'm clueless on these things.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Where do you live?

Most laptops come with Wi-Fi built in. Setting up a wireless router is pretty simple. Do you not want DSL because you don't want to plug in? No issue. Most DSL routers have a wireless capability to them. If you don't want any of that, then look and see if Clearwire has service in your area. That would likely require use of a PCM/CIA slot.

Just went to Clear wire and they don't service my area.

Online poker, general internet surfing...Netbook. We have 2 of them and love them for what we use them for. They're cheap and convenient. Quicken, however, would lag hard on one. A lower end or refurb cheapo would probably do you just fine.

I would buy something like this: http://www.frys.com/product/6165639?site=sa:Homepage%20Pod:Pod2

That would be purchased with the understanding that I would throw it away in a couple of years and buy something new and shiny.:D

Where do you live?

Who's the local phone company in your area? What town do you live in?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+-+Quantum+Black/9703393.p?id=1218153394199&skuId=9703393

I bought this one about 2 months ago. I love it. I use it for Internet, and schoolwork... Microsoft office doesnt come with it (doesnt come with any computer anymore from what I was able to find with my research however). I dont know what you are looking for, but here is my recommendation if your needs are similar to mine.

Some fan boy you are!
Our friend posts again in Bonfire for the first time in a long time and you ask questions. We all know that you'll just recommend a Mac Book or an iTouch Stretch...err...iPad.

A strong case could be made for the iPad except she mentioned internet poker and Quicken.

I don't know enough about the internet poker sites she would want to play on, but my guess is they are Flash based. There is currently no Quicken for iPad that I know of. That pretty much rules the iPad out for now.

At $500 for the base iPad it's competitive with most netbooks, but if the apps aren't there yet, I can't recommend it -- yet.

A netbook of some sort does seem to be the way to go for her -- right now.
quade -

I haven't spent more than $300 for either of my netbooks.

Besides I was making fun of the iPad. If it was half as innovative as the Newton was, then it would be worth something. As it stands right now, its a really heavy itouch/e-book reader that is too expensive.

I haven't spent more than $300 for either of my netbooks.

Besides I was making fun of the iPad. If it was half as innovative as the Newton was, then it would be worth something. As it stands right now, its a really heavy itouch/e-book reader that is too expensive.

You're missing a much bigger picture, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

BTW, I owned the original Newton and the second gen Netwon. Both were interesting but had flaws. Consider all of the iPhone/iTouch/iPads as direct descendants and infinitely more refined.
quade -

Microsoft office doesnt come with it (doesnt come with any computer anymore from what I was able to find with my research however)

Not a problem - Open Office does it all and it's a free download.

Linda, netbooks are awesome - if I were buying a laptop now that's the way I'd go. Way smaller and lighter than a laptop. The only downsides that I can see to them are screen size, keyboard size and the lack of a CD/DVD reader/writer. If you won't need to install or run programs from CD/DVD and you can make out the words on the screen, they're pretty cool.

For internet access - if you don't want DSL anymore you might look into one of the portable wi-fi "hot spots" that some of the cell providers offer. Sprint has one for around $60 a month that supposedly works anyplace there's 3G or 4G coverage. We checked out a friends the other night; speed was fine, even with two computers using the connection.

Who's the local phone company in your area? What town do you live in?

hemet, Calif

Thanks Lisa,
I would want cd/ded access as this will be replacing my home computer. I'm trying to save money on the monthly access which is why I don't what to go the DSL route. $60.00 is allot more than I'm paying now so that won't do.
Thanks for the input though. Still looking.:S

Thanks Lisa,
I would want cd/ded access as this will be replacing my home computer. I'm trying to save money on the monthly access which is why I don't what to go the DSL route. $60.00 is allot more than I'm paying now so that won't do.

You can look at MacBooks and see if you like what you see. There are Apple stores all over SoCal. They even offer classes to teach you how to use them. And, they sell the home version of MS Office, too, and will even install it for you if you ask.

Honestly, for the first few weeks, a Mac will frustrate you. The interface is just familiar enough to make you forget it's different until you're going to click something and it isn't where you expect. And after those few weeks, when you're used to it, it's wonderful.

PCs aren't bad if you know what you're doing and know how to fix them when they break. I own a few PCs. I used to build them until I decided that was too much effort. However, I think that overall, they're more of a struggle than an asset, particularly for a casual user. If you need something highly customizable and don't mind spending a lot of time tweaking to get what you want, or you play a lot of games that aren't World of Warcraft or other Blizzard games, get a PC. If you just need it to work to run your email, browsing, etc, get a Mac.

I bought an Apple because I thought it was fun and would be good for school. I kept going back to Apple because their customer service is phenomenal. There's just something that's really awesome about having somewhere you can go, ask questions, and have people there who are paid to do nothing but answer them. If I'm having a problem or have a question about the computer or programs, I go online, make an appointment with the Apple "Genius Bar" in my local store, show up, and have someone who is dedicated to helping me. Free. I like that they stand by their product rather than just shipping it to you and leaving you to figure it out by yourself.

As for your speed problem, you can also look into internet through your cable or satellite TV company. Overall, I've had better luck with DSL. Any of those services will allow you to plug in a wireless router and have wireless internet (please, get someone to set the router up for you and secure it properly. Otherwise, all your neighbors will be using your network). Dial up isn't going to give you close to DSL speed. Check with your phone company or tv provider and see if they offer bundling services, which make it much cheaper when you get Phone and DSL, Cable and Cable Modem, or Sat TV and Sat Internet. I pay about $20 more for my DSL bundled with my phone service.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+-+Quantum+Black/9703393.p?id=1218153394199&skuId=9703393

I bought this one about 2 months ago. I love it. I use it for Internet, and schoolwork... Microsoft office doesnt come with it (doesnt come with any computer anymore from what I was able to find with my research however). I dont know what you are looking for, but here is my recommendation if your needs are similar to mine.

Don't bother with MS Office - download Open Office for free.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I'm used to windows and don't know if I would have trouble understanding MAC. I'm not stupid but not real quick on the computer lingo or applications.

If you can afford it, I recommend making the switch to a Mac. Am I a Mac fanboy? No. In fact, I'm typing this on a Sony Vaio laptop. I use PCs because they are my job, and I'm good with computers.

Most of the world's computer users will do better, and have a more positive experience on a Mac. Even if you already have a desktop at home, just move all the files to the new Mac laptop, because you won't use the desktop anymore. Also, you won't have a hard time figuring it out, even if you are used to PCs.

If money is your primary concern, get a Netbook (Windows). They are cheap, cheap, and they run pretty well. I think Verizon sells one for $99, and it has CDMA rev 2, so you can use the Internet from anywhere, and it's fast! Just be sure on the Netbook that it can run Office software if you need that.

All of the above will have built-in wireless. Try to find a new laptop that doesn't - you'll be very hard-pressed. The difference is if they use WiFi (Internet only works where you have a Hotspot), or wireless broadband (Internet works anywhere like a cellphone).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Thanks Lisa,

Check with the local Cell Phone providers to see what broadband internet offerings they offer. You can get a card (or in some cases, a laptop with the cell card built in) that will let you get on the internet wherever their towers reach.

$60.00 isn't terribly expensive for good broadband... I can't imagine the cellular options will be much cheaper.

~Gav
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21