tdog

Calling all BAT experts

So, Batty moved in last week... In my urban patio. Hanging from a brick in the corner above my patio door...

He is a nice guy. Or so it seams... But I rather him move out.

Honestly, I thought he was dead, so I gently nudged him with the soft end of a broom to see if he would move... He spread his wings, hissed at me, then showed me his teeth, then licked his lips and went back to sleeping.

Colorado climate. Spring.

So, questions:

1) How long will a bat stay in the exact same spot normally in this environment?

2) The fact he has not moved in nearly a week... I am thinking he might be sick and at the end of his life??? Its been 70 degrees during the day and I would imagine dehydration would set in.

3) It appears he has never moved. There are 70 patios on my building, I can't imagine he would find his way back to mine (or even care which one he picked), if he went out to the clubs at night to meet the girls and eat some grub???

So, does he sound sick, or is this normal behavior?

Thanks!

Go out at night and see if the little fella is there. During the day... they tend to be "grumpy". Having one of them move in is not so bad. I have had a few of them take up residence out her ein the country.. and always in the same place.. probably feels safe there.

I would just leave him alone.... and let him eat the spring skeeters for you.

And take Pictures:D

Probably just hanging out for a while, most likely because he couldn't find a good meal the night before.

Yeah, build a bathouse: http://www.batconservation.org/content/Bathouseimportance.html

Bats are good to have around. They can eat zillions of flying insects. If its a bug-eating Little Brown Bat (Myotis), it's probably OK to touch it with your fingers.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

You lucky devil! :)
Bats are considered good luck and a blessing in many cultures. He'll hang around for a while until he finds a better place to sleep. Meanwhile just try not to disturb him during the day and you won't even know he is there.
I've been in caves and had them hang from the rim of my helmet. Pretty cool staring at one eye-to-eye from a couple inches away. B|

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Its been 70 degrees during the day and I would imagine dehydration would set in.

Nah, contrary to the stereotype of bats sleeping in dark caves, they can pretty much sleep anywhere, including direct sunlight. I've seen groups of them snoozing on trees with the sunlight shining right on them in the heat of the day. If they didn't like it, they'd move.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Probably just hanging out for a while, most likely because he couldn't find a good meal the night before.

Yeah, build a bathouse: http://www.batconservation.org/content/Bathouseimportance.html

Bats are good to have around. They can eat zillions of flying insects. If its a bug-eating Little Brown Bat (Myotis), it's probably OK to touch it with your fingers.

what he said. I've had a good number of bats around my house. None have taken up residence in or on the house, to my relief, but they are good to have around. I usually see a bunch of them flying around at dusk over my yard during the summers.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Picture attached...

Has not, as far as I can tell (I look 6 times a day/night at least) - left "home" in a week.

After googling bats, I wonder if he is at the end of his hibernation as he does not seem to interested in anything other than sleeping and hissing at my broom....

I am going to let him stay until he leaves or dies... To the poster who said I could touch him, when he showed me his teeth, I think he said "no".

I want him to enjoy life, but he is also right next to my patio door without a screen and I enjoy leaving that door open... Don't want him to move in a bit farther!!!

Picture attached...

Has not, as far as I can tell (I look 6 times a day/night at least) - left "home" in a week.

After googling bats, I wonder if he is at the end of his hibernation as he does not seem to interested in anything other than sleeping and hissing at my broom....

I am going to let him stay until he leaves or dies... To the poster who said I could touch him, when he showed me his teeth, I think he said "no".

I want him to enjoy life, but he is also right next to my patio door without a screen and I enjoy leaving that door open... Don't want him to move in a bit farther!!!

Die Fledermaus ist niedlich:D:)
Proably a little warmer up there.... best to leave the little Darlin alone:)

Well, I woke up this morning and found Batty moved out... So he stayed for a over a week without moving, and decided it was time to leave.

I miss him. I learned a lot about bats... I think it is possible he was in a semi-hibernation state as they normally hibernate in the winter and come out of hibernation in March and April.... That would explain why he was not active at all for over a week and looked very thin. They bulk up over the summer like other animals that hibernate.