NewGuy2005

California Travel Advice Needed

Itinerary:

Arrive Sacramento.
Drive to Yosemite. Stay a couple of days in Yosemite.
Drive to SanFrancisco.
Stay a day or two in S.F..
Drive up (or down) the coast for a day or two.
Depart Sacramento.
(no jumping)

Question: Would it be better to do that in mid-July or mid August?

Mid-September would be better. Less likely to be 100+ in the valley and more likely to not be foggy on the coast.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. However, I have to work within the kids' school schedule.

We will only be passing through the valley. Does the fog burn off in the afternoon on the coast?

Itinerary:

Arrive Sacramento.
Drive to Yosemite. Stay a couple of days in Yosemite.
Drive to SanFrancisco.
Stay a day or two in S.F..
Drive up (or down) the coast for a day or two.
Depart Sacramento.
(no jumping)

Question: Would it be better to do that in mid-July or mid August?

It will be hot, but dry. Bring sunblock. B|

You can almost set your watch by the fog in San Francisco, but generally on the warm days, it clears by mid-late morning. Make sure you hit "The Stinking Rose" in the North Beach district for dinner.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Up or down the coast is a good question too.

I've never been to the coast South of SFO, but I know to the North are the tallest trees on the planet, the Sequoia forests, amazingly impressive. I would wish everyone could see them at least once. B|

Well, if he heads south down I-5, and turns east toward Visalia (Rt 198), he could go to Sequoia National Park, and Kings Canyon National Park...they have redwoods there too. Striking! B|B|B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You can pretty much forget Yosemite that time of year too. That is, of course, depending on whether you made reservations about a year in advance or you're just planning a day trip.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

We will only be passing through the valley.

Suggestion - instead of going south down the valley, go a bit further east from Sacramento to either Auburn or Placerville and go south on highway 49. It runs through the foothills, which tend to be a bit cooler than the valley floor and it's definitely more scenic. Plus it runs right through gold country and right past Yosemite. It is a one lane in each direction highway though; adjust drive time accordingly.

Does the fog burn off in the afternoon on the coast?

Sometimes. And sometimes they go for days without seeing the sun. Bring sweatshirts.

If you drive north from SF check out some of the oyster farms on the coast, they are fun to visit. If you go south towards Santa Cruz, Big Basin park has some massive old growth redwoods, and scenic hiking trails of all difficulties. If you go as far south as Monterrey, check out the aquarium and Big Sur (I've never been but am told it is excellent)
North holds lots of fun wineries if that is your thing, as well as lagunitas brewery and ace cidery.
If you go out to the east bay, you can drive to the top of Diablo Mt, and get great views of the bay.
Pier 39 in the city is fun if you have never been.

As far as what time to go, I would probably say August, but do some weather research before you decide.

Go in August. The mosquitos in Yosemite are hell in July. You will be eaten alive. And the park is much less crowded, and crowds in Yosemite are a MAJOR issue. Unless you're going backpacking, you won't get anywhere without tripping over people in July. The place is as bad as Disneyland.

Go in August. The mosquitos in Yosemite are hell in July. You will be eaten alive. And the park is much less crowded, and crowds in Yosemite are a MAJOR issue. Unless you're going backpacking, you won't get anywhere without tripping over people in July. The place is as bad as Disneyland.

Just found out that mid-June is an option. How is that?

Just found out that mid-June is an option. How is that?

About as bad as July.