nigel99

UK Bike Riders

Does anyone have any suggestions on who the best "advanced riders" courses are?

I am thinking of ROSPA but I don't know anyone who has done there advanced riders course and would like feedback.

My new toy is fantastic but 5 years on a Fazer hadn't prepared me for the utter madness that the R6 is! I can tell that I am under-cornering and my riding skills need to go up a notch if I am going to keep her nice and shiny. And just in case anyone suggests it - I am not interested in track day type training as I am not going to be taking up track days. Believe it or not I don't actually break the speed limit by more than 10% (still have a clean license) and on country roads here you can have an absolute blast at 60MPH.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Cheers Squeak ..... but although I've been riding for XXXX years - I've not done an Advanced Course (maybe I should). I understand that police used to run them and maybe still do ... I'll take a look.

B.T.W - I loved my R6s .... so much that I've had 2 - very light and just the right size (seat height) for my wee legs. ... I'd have another in a heart-beat.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Check out the below link for the Enhanced Rider Scheme:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022666

Also, when I passed my test they gave me a booklet with details of advanced courses.. Can't seem to find this booklet, but if I do I will send you the details. If I remember correctly, there was mention of rider courses offered by the police. As far as I remember, the course pays for itself because your insurance (usually) gives you a discount for having done the course.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I've done a couple of the one day courses and they were invaluable in stepping up my riding skills. They teach you good road positioning for better visibility. I would highly recommend doing one - it can also lower your insurance B|.

Also check out the IAM website www.iam.org.uk (don't know how to make it a clicky, sorry). It will give you details of groups near you who will take you to IAM standard - even better for your insurance.

R6 is an awsome bike, have fun and ride safe.

Colin

Believe it or not I don't actually break the speed limit by more than 10% (still have a clean license) and on country roads here you can have an absolute blast at 60MPH.

Around where I live that is usually waaaaay more dangerous than doing 66 on an A road or 77 on a dual...;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Believe it or not I don't actually break the speed limit by more than 10% (still have a clean license) and on country roads here you can have an absolute blast at 60MPH.

Around where I live that is usually waaaaay more dangerous than doing 66 on an A road or 77 on a dual...;)

I reckon he prolly really meant 10mph above the limit, and not necessarily 10%!!

Personally, I think you're safest when you're driving the same speed as everyone else.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Some people are safest when they stay home.

Some say it best ..... when they say nothing at all:P

HELP ME ... I can't believe that I just quoted Boyzone .... aggggghhhhhh[:/]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I reckon he prolly really meant 10mph above the limit, and not necessarily 10%!!

Either way, doing those speeds, or more, on a big road is fairly standard - doing sixty on a lot of country roads pretty much is track riding, just without the consistent road surface, run off areas or one-way traffic!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Dear GOD Shroppy - this is serious! :S
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

You are beyond help, just for knowing it was Boyzone:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've done a couple of the one day courses and they were invaluable in stepping up my riding skills. They teach you good road positioning for better visibility. I would highly recommend doing one - it can also lower your insurance B|.

Also check out the IAM website www.iam.org.uk (don't know how to make it a clicky, sorry). It will give you details of groups near you who will take you to IAM standard - even better for your insurance.

R6 is an awsome bike, have fun and ride safe.

Colin

thanks everyone for replies. IAM was someone that I couldn't remember the name of.

Our local police do a riding course once a year but I have already been on it and they prefer fresh blood:)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

:o 60+ 10% = 66! and 70 + 10% = 77:P

Like I said I don't break the limit by more than 10%.

The 60 comes from the fact that at the moment if I met a corner at 66 I'll become a statisticB|. That said on our local back roads (Chilterns) I would be happy feeling confident at 60 and not crapping myself that I am going to wind up on the wrong side of the road or in a hedge.