Rockstar26

Rigging Error - misrouted Cypres loop

A rigging error was found at a DZ here in Europe, the error in question was a misrouted reserve loop which had gone through the cutter, then looped back around the housing of the cutter and then closed as normal. This was found by the DZ Rigger on a schools AFF Rig, but had not been packed by him. What are the chances of this error getting through the checks, considering the strict code riggers

I think it was not an "intentional" misrigging, but a result of inattention. It is not likely that this would get noticed on an inspection of the rig after it was packed, although a close inspection could catch it.

The good news is that I think the reserve would still open, whether manually or Cypres activated.

Edit to add: I was thinking that the cutter was at the top, in which case it might be visible through the grommet, but the poster below shows the photos of the more likely scenario--which would be much easier to do than the same thing on the top-mounted cutter. How did the rigger notice the problem, on a repack?

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

This one, with the cutter below the bag, is actually pretty easy to have occur, as described above. If a rigger doesn't take a second look at the cutter after putting tension on the loop it won't be found. Ripcord still works, Cypres will cut and PC will probably clear.

Remember, riggers are people too. I'm not sure what you ment by "strict code riggers" in your last sentence, but in the U.S. no one second checks the work of riggers. At least not until it's opened the next time. Quality control is all in the mind, procedures, and conscious of the rigger. And riggers hold their certificate for life with no requirement for continuing education or recertification. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is another topic. But that is how it is for now. Luckily reserves aren't used often, and most errors are non-critical.

No rigger is perfect and riggers are not created equally. A lot of advice here states "see your rigger" of have "a rigger look at it." I usually (hmm sometimes) qualify that with see a rigger you trust or an experienced rigger if it isn't something simple. New riggers really have a license to learn (as well as a license to kill).
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

New riggers really have a license to learn (as well as a license to kill).

I agree with the first part of that statement - that's what I said when I first got my ticket. The learning only stopped when I stopped rigging. Now that I'm dating an active rigger the learning has started again - he made me actually pack my own reserve - for the first time in 9 years - last month! :D

Don't know if I agree with the second part - all riggers have a license to kill, not just new ones. I've handed my rig to a few new riggers to repack with no qualms - I think a new rigger is more likely to be anal about what they are doing than is someone who's been doing it awhile and perhaps become a bit complacent.

I don't disagree Lisa. Didn't really mean to imply that newbie riggers have any more license to kill that any rigger. But, there are very few newbie riggers that I know I'd choose to trust. Some because they really don't care. I don't think some of the younger, AAD era jumpers have the same respect for the sport. As well as in my area malfunctions are down overall. If you don't see reserve pumping out every weekend you lose some of the expectation that your work will be used and is someone's last chance to live. And some newbie riggers who care but just haven't learned all the history, development, what went wrong 15 years ago that sometimes starts all over again, etc. etc.

Not that I'm lobbying for more work.:S:P I've got all I want.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Just another observation how this sort of thing happens.

My first impression reading Sid's site a couple years ago was that a cypres loop built too long had wrapped around the cutter during the closing sequence and was not caught, or checked. This is certainly one cause.

A few weeks ago I got both my cypres back from SSK and was packing my reserves. During my checks I discovered the mis-routed phenomena happening right in front of my eyes! The cypres loop was the correct length.

During the installation of the cypres and routing the cutter through its channel, the line from the cutter to the unit had become twisted. The same way a brake line can be twisted. Once the cutter was in its elastic holder, the loop routed through the cutter, the twist gradually worked it way out of the line. The only way for twist to work out of the line is for the cutter to rotate, causing the loop to become wrapped around the cutter.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Cool, glad you figured that out. I never thought of that. Makes perfect sense though.

To make sure I got it, the cables where run, the cutter put into the elastic, the box into the pouch, then the cables looped up before stowing them under the flap. Then, because there is now a twist in the cutter cable, it rotated the cutter because it can;t rotate the box. Sound right? Would you agree that the way to prevent this is to not install the box into the pouch until after putting the loop(s) in the cable(s) for stowing under the flap?

Derek

The kicker is though, that if the loop is the correct length, you can't close it like that. At the point that you start making the loop over an inch longer than it needs to be, the bells should be ringing that something's wrong......
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I think the coiling of the cables and the twisting of the cables are two topologically different phenomena. I don't think the installation sequence affects it. It either has a twist or it doesn't.

The same way you could take an untwisted brake line and coil it up wouldn't affect the twisting of the brake line. I'm suggesting that it's possible to put a twist in the cable when the cutter is being run thu the housing to its elastic holder independent of any other steps taken installing the cypres and coiling the excess cable.

I could be mistaken. :)
Ken
Ken

Ultimately, mis-routed cypres loops should always be checked for.

I agree that the loop has to be too long in the first place to close it with the loop mis-routed. If the check reveals the loop is mis-routed it could be either a long loop and/ or a twisted cable. Address both possible problems and proceed with closing the container.

Ken
Ken

The field-replaceable cutter coupler can rotate without disconnecting.

But you're right: the cable channel and coil(s) usually have enough slack that the cutter can be pulled through the elastic, allowed to relax, and then be pushed back into place.

Mark

found the same thing on a Javelin. Showed the rigger that had packed it, and he was rather shocked. It was good to see for me, cuz now I'm paranoid about that shit. I agree about the proper length of closing loop should be telling you something when you are closing it......
my pics & stuff!