lummy

weird thing happened with my PC

hey everyone,
Yesterday, the cieling was 4000' so we were doing hop n pops out of the cessna. On my 4th, I realized that my PC had completely wrapped around one of the cascades on my brake line. it was a poised exit off the step and I pulled after a 5 count. I'm trying to picture under what circumstances this could have happened and to check and see if there was something I was doing wrong that could have prevented it. I guess it could be just one of those weird things, but I just want to be sure.
Any ideas? Also, even tho this time it seems like a minor annoyance, I was wondering if it had wrapped around two or more cascades, it could have affected the brakes on that side?
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Has happened to me.

Didn't affect what I was doing, but it was the first time I had contemplated chopping.

I did a few practice flares and turns (after the initial wtf?) and it all seemed controlable. When I got down, I left it wrapped in the brake lines and showed a few people. THey didn't know how it could have happened.

I'm guessing that if it had wrapped around more of the cascades, it would have shortened the lines, letting you drive around in part brakes. You should be able to compensate for that by pulling down a little more on the opposite toggle.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

That stuff just happens sometimes. You have a hackey handle right? The pc collapses after the bag comes off the canopy. The canopy opens and the hackey handle coninues downward. Add a nice surge to the opening and it weaves it's way into the lines as the canopy opens.

You're not doing any thing wrong. It's happened to me exactly like you described. and I've seen it happen on a number of other occasions. I had to counter with the opposite toggle just a tiny bit.

Wait till it goes over the nose. It's still not a big deal but if the pilot chute doesn't collapse, it can get real fun.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Nope, shit happens sometimes. [:/]

A simple controlability check is a you need to do to see if its landable though, just like I taught you as my student, and it looks like you did just fine. ;)

The only thing you did mess up on though was, not heading over to Lodi to get full altitude! :P

It was an awesome day. :)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

any weight on the pilot chute can affect how it behaves, and as said in other posts a surge on opening can cause the pilot chute to do funky stuff,

A bit different, but kinda the same problem, when doing student jumps with spring loaded pilot chute, had the pilot chute come over the front of the canopy a couple of times, just the weight of the spring that causes it to do wierd stuff

The canopy opens and the hackey handle coninues downward. Add a nice surge to the opening and it weaves it's way into the lines as the canopy opens.

AHHH!!! that makes sense :)

Thanks Timmaaaee!!!!

A simple controlability check is a you need to do to see if its landable though, just like I taught you as my student, and it looks like you did just fine. Wink

The only thing you did mess up on though was, not heading over to Lodi to get full altitude!

yeppers, was the first thing I did so I guess I was paying attention to my instructor ;)I'm sure glad I got over being scared of climbing out of the Cessna .. you want me to WHAT? climb OUT and hold on to the strut?

And I'll definitely have to make a few more trips out to Lodi this summer and harass everyone :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone !1
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1