NickDG

Just picked up a Droid X

I'm a RCH away from switching to Verizon from AT&T and am thinking about picking up a Droid X. So far people are complaining about battery life and the virtual keyboard being odd. What are your thoughts?

Its a big change for me, I've been with AT&T since it was Houston Wireless!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm a RCH away from switching to Verizon from AT&T and am thinking about picking up a Droid X. So far people are complaining about battery life and the virtual keyboard being odd. What are your thoughts?

Its a big change for me, I've been with AT&T since it was Houston Wireless!

Why are you thinking of switching? Is it the reception issues or the latest phone debacle? I'm only hesitant to switch because I signed up when data plans were unlimited, and since I use my 3Gs for work a lot, I won't appreciate being charged up the a$$ for extra data time by Verizon [:/]

Honestly its due to the every climbing bill and the lack of phone options that I want. I am not a brain washed fan boy, I do not want an iPhone. The Blackjack II that I have is kind of crappy and starting to fall apart. Top that off with numerous small issues over the history with the company (they add up), billing errors that are terribly hard to fix and never being reimbursed and now the change in data plans, I'm fed up.

However, I do like options by HTC and Motorola running Droid.

Honestly its due to the every climbing bill and the lack of phone options that I want. I am not a brain washed fan boy, I do not want an iPhone. The Blackjack II that I have is kind of crappy and starting to fall apart. Top that off with numerous small issues over the history with the company (they add up), billing errors that are terribly hard to fix and never being reimbursed and now the change in data plans, I'm fed up.

However, I do like options by HTC and Motorola running Droid.

As long as you had a smart phone plan prior to the change to the limited data plans, you can opt to keep the unlimited plan. The 2 limited plans are for new subscribers and people that didnt have smart phone plans before.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

i have the droid incredible which is now rooted and overclocked (and undervolt at idle) and i love it great phone before but after rooting you have soo much more options

reasons i will never go to anything apple

1. the app store and all the hoops you must jump through to get anything on there

2. no replaceable battery and no ext memory(might be different with the 4 haven't looked at it much)

3. Apples whole "its not our fault its yours" philosophy

4. Apple fan boys/girls that are so strung out on apple that if they sneeze one will pop out of there butt ..

the whole death grip thing sealed the deal for me .. i know they are owning up to it now and giving out the bumpers but the fact that they waited this long to do so and still really did not accept responsibility ( even though your holding the phone wrong we will give out covers just to make up for your mistake)

As long as you had a smart phone plan prior to the change to the limited data plans, you can opt to keep the unlimited plan. The 2 limited plans are for new subscribers and people that didnt have smart phone plans before.

Read the fine print.

When your contact is up, for instance after the 2 year phone commitment, you are re-upping for the data plan. Then you are no longer a prior plan holder!

Read the fine print.

When your contact is up, for instance after the 2 year phone commitment, you are re-upping for the data plan. Then you are no longer a prior plan holder!

Where do you see that?

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=browseTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB110284&isSrch=Yes

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=browseTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB110274&isSrch=Yes

and
AT&T's webpage:

*If you already have a smartphone and data plan with AT&T (including an unlimited data plan) you are not required to switch to one of the new plans. However, if you want to save money, you may choose to switch without a contract extension.

all seem to say other.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I saw it on a paper bill.

It comes down to you have a two year contact, when the contract is up you continue on a month-to-month basis until you upgrade phones. If you stay with a phone that doesn't require an activation, then I don't think you recommit with a new two year contract (as far as I can tell from what I read). With a new activation and new contact, you're no longer grandfathered in.

Drink the kool-aid if you wish, understand that you're getting screwed, if you're happy with it, then you'll be ok.

I saw it on a paper bill.

It comes down to you have a two year contact, when the contract is up you continue on a month-to-month basis until you upgrade phones. If you stay with a phone that doesn't require an activation, then I don't think you recommit with a new two year contract (as far as I can tell from what I read). With a new activation and new contact, you're no longer grandfathered in.

Drink the kool-aid if you wish, understand that you're getting screwed, if you're happy with it, then you'll be ok.

Just how would I be getting screwed? Worst case, I pay less, since I'm probably not pulling 2gb without teathering anyways.

Just how would I be getting screwed? Worst case, I pay less, since I'm probably not pulling 2gb without teathering anyways.

Less service for the same price (right now). Followed by higher prices later for continuing less service. At least that is what I've discovered having been with the same provider for a bit over a decade! The change in plans by AT&T was due to their network failing from use. Now we're getting phones that do even more and can easily pull even more bandwidth and that is going to continue to increase over time.

Seems like my dad never had this much trouble with his old bag phone in the mid-80s. Had better reception too!

I've had the Droid X since this morning . . .

The battery seems okay. I've been playing with it all afternoon and it's still going. I know you can also buy an extra battery and change it out on the fly. This evening when I did put it on the charger it went to full charge pretty quickly. (I didn't think to actually time it.)

The virtual key board is better than the slide out keyboards on the earlier Droids. And the keyboard works great. You also have a choice of using normal touch type or Swype. While the keyboard works great sometimes the on-screen command buttons like "next" and "done" seem quirky and my take more than one touch. Also unlocking the phone is touchy. (It slides to the right like an iPhone but it seems if you go too fast (or too slow, I'm not sure which yet?) it will snap back to locked.

I purchased a screen protector for it but the touch screen was impossible to use with it on so I took it off. Scrolling through web pages and the zoom works as well as an iPhone. Internet speed seems as good as my laptop on a broadband connection. And of course Flash will be available with the August update.

I'm hoping the software update addresses the few issues I mentioned. As for the phone itself I've made about a dozen calls with no drops including a few in a moving car. Sound quality is excellent including over the speaker phone.

So far I really like it . . .

The photos below are comparing the Droid X and the iPhone 3G

NickD :)

How do you simply like the size? This is the first Android device that actually tempted me to leave Blackberry, but I probably won't...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

How do you simply like the size? This is the first Android device that actually tempted me to leave Blackberry, but I probably won't...

And leave the BBMSGR group?? :D:D

Exactly.
Make light!

Exactly.

You know, iPhones dont have a messenger group (although, it would be awesome!)

Come over to the dark side Luke.

I got my Droid X on Friday and love it! The size doesn't bother me at all. I like the larger size (but what girl doesn't?:)) Its lighter than the blackberries that my friends have. I bought the mount for the car and used the GPS today. Worked great.
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

Exactly.

I can totally resist the iToy and AT&T's network...with no effort...you just wallow in the knowledge that you don't have BBM and therefore, you suck...:P
Make light!

Exactly.

I can totally resist the iToy and AT&T's network...with no effort...you just wallow in the knowledge that you don't have BBM and therefore, you suck...:P

Well, not like it works here anyways.:P