inzite

Non-TSO'd main canopy in the United States

Okay, so I'm an American living abroad at the moment. I just picked up a Mirage G3 container and Tempo reserve. All covered under US TSO certs. However, for the main, I decided to go with something a little more local, and threw down for a canopy from the little known (in the US) Russian company, Paraavis. http://www.paraavis.com

The main looks to be in great shape, well built, professional, all ZP, and so on. In short, inspecting it visually, it looks on par with anything PD or the other manufacturers produce. However, it's not TSO'd in the US. In another 9 months I'll be returning to the states, and would like to bring it back with me to use there (after thorough testing here, of courseB|). Does anyone know if it's legal to jump a non TSO'd main in the US if the container and reserve are all up to snuff and TSO'd?

Here's what I think is the appropriate section from the SIM:

No person may conduct a parachute operation using a sin-
gle-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command
of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute
operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-para-
chute system, unless that system has at least one main para-
chute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved sin-
gle person harness and container that are packed as follows:
(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120
days before the date of its use by a certificated parachute
rigger, the person making the next jump with that para-
chute, or a non-certificated person under the direct
supervision of a certificated parachute rigger.
(b) The reserve parachute must have been packed by a cer-
tificated parachute rigger—
(1) Within 120 days before the date of its use, if its
canopy, shroud, and harness are composed exclusive-
ly of nylon, rayon, or similar synthetic fiber or mate-
rial that is substantially resistant to damage from
mold, mildew, and other fungi, and other rotting
agents propagated in a moist environment; or
(2) Within 60 days before the date of its use, if it is
composed of any amount of silk, pongee, or other
natural fiber, or material not specified in paragraph
(b)(1) of this section.
(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be
maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions
for that automatic activation device.

From looking at the SIM, my first impression is that I should be good to go. I'm assuming the key phrase is "one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container."

Anybody have any more concrete experience? I'd hate to get back to the states with a canopy I can't jump and can't sell.

People have jumped home-built canopies. I'm quite sure you're good to go.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You can jump something you made out of tissue paper if you wish. You must have a US TSO'd harness and reserve though. ;)

rigging65 said that "you can jump whatever you want...as long as your intent upon exiting is to land the canopy you are deploying as your "main". If you want to jump a bedsheet (literally), and don't plan on landing it, legally you must have at least 2 other canopies. The law states you must have one parachute on your back that you don't plan on using except in the case of an unforeseen emergency, and that canopy must be TSO'd (US rules)."

You can jump something you made out of tissue paper if you wish. You must have a US TSO'd harness and reserve though. ;)

rigging65 said that "you can jump whatever you want...as long as your intent upon exiting is to land the canopy you are deploying as your "main". If you want to jump a bedsheet (literally), and don't plan on landing it, legally you must have at least 2 other canopies. The law states you must have one parachute on your back that you don't plan on using except in the case of an unforeseen emergency, and that canopy must be TSO'd (US rules)."

You can't land tissue paper? :P

True, but not the point of his question.

His question was "are mains are TSO'd", and "could he jump a parachute not made in the US" and the answer is, mains are not TSO'd and anyone can build one and jump it themselves.
He should feel free to bring the main parachute to the US and jump it.:)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

You can't land tissue paper? :P

True, but not the point of his question.

His question was "are mains are TSO'd", and "could he jump a parachute not made in the US" and the answer is, mains are not TSO'd and anyone can build one and jump it themselves.
He should feel free to bring the main parachute to the US and jump it.:)

Be safe.
Ed

Answer: NO. That being said don't try to land a tissue paper canopy. Go with a proven design.

Mick.