IanHarrop

Remembrance Day Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsA4IxkARNY

This video was sent to me and I uploaded it to Youtube so that you can view it easily.

This is particularly poignant because one of these faces was a fellow skydiver. From the Eden North Skydivers website...

Chris Karagiannis

A soldier, a friend, a skydiver and our instructor. Lost to us June 20, 2007 while on a mission in Kandahar, Afghanistan. He will be remembered as a quiet professional, devoted to excellence and a very good friend to all those who knew him. Chris started jumping in 1995 and had over 750 jumps. He had achieved a "C" license, Coach 1, Coach 2, Jump-master and Skydive School Instructor ratings as well as being a member of the Canadian Forces Skyhawks Parachute Demonstration Team. Chris will be missed but never forgotten.

Chris can be seen at time index 1.39 in the video.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The first video prompted a friend to send me this:
----
On November 11, 1999 Terry Kelly was in a drug store in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. At 10:55 AM an announcement came over the store’s PA asking customers who would still be on the premises at 11:00 AM to give two minutes of silence in respect to the veterans who have sacrificed so much for us.

Terry was impressed with the store’s leadership role in adopting the Legion’s “two minutes of silence” initiative. He felt that the store’s contribution of educating the public to the importance of remembering was commendable.

When eleven o’clock arrived on that day, an announcement was again made asking for the “two minutes of silence” to commence. All customers, with the exception of a man who was accompanied by his young child, showed their respect.

Terry’s anger towards the father for trying to engage the store’s clerk in conversation and for setting a bad example for his child was channeled into a beautiful piece of work called, “A Pittance of Time”. Terry later recorded “A Pittance of Time” and included it on his full-length music CD, “The Power of the Dream”.

In the interest of creating a greater awareness of the sacrifices that have been made and are still being made on our behalf, “A Pittance of Time” has been adapted to the French language and titled “C’est si peu de temps”. Music videos for both audio tracks too were produced in support of the campaign and a musical/theatrical concert production, “Two Minutes of Silence – A Pittance of Time”, was written for the stage.

Video Link: http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance/pittance_en_video.htm

Incidentally, Terry is blind.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

That brought tears to my eyes as I watched. Thank you for sharing.

Today is also Veteran's Day here in the U.S. and I think about all they do to keep this country safe. A dear friend lost her son in Iraq last year. They emigrated from Russia and as her son grew he knew he wanted to follow in his father's foot steps and join the military to serve (his father served in his native country). He joined the U.S. Army as soon as he could and began his service to his new country. He was called to Iraq. http://www.patriotguard.org/Forums/tabid/61/postid/537586/view/topic/Default.aspx

Gods Speed to everyone who is serving and who have served. We love you!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hi Ian,
Yup, a good day to bump this thread. 'Just thinking about my old Navy daze, the times you want to remember and the ones you can't forget no matter how hard you try. 'Dug into a small chest of momentos, a brass "dog hook' with a "P-38", some coins from far away places, ribbons and a couple of medals and some photos, how young we were then. USN 05DEC66-23NOV70, PR-2.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi bill,

Anyone remember these?

I still have the one I was issued.

JerryBaumchen

I have two. and know how to use them , they work great...But,I never served...They don't draft Carnies! (no address or SS number)

Thank you to those of you that did ...

Bill , what ship were you on? My brother was on USS America,(vietnam) my Father inlaw, USS Ranger, (and others)

Hi bill,

Anyone remember these?

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jerry,
They "issued" you one?? We got boxes of "C-Rats" and there was a handfull of P-38's (aka John Wayne's) in the bottom. I still have the one on my dog hook and several more still in their brown paper wrapper. Got a bunch at the "Gun Show" a while back. the guy was selling them for 2-bits a piece or 5 for a buck. I bought a couple of handfulls. Next Gun Show he was sold out but some other dude had a bunch for a buck each!! Oh well, I got mine!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi bill,

Anyone remember these?

JerryBaumchen

I have two. and know how to use them , they work great...But,I never served...They don't draft Carnies! (no address or SS number)

Thank you to those of you that did ...

Bill , what ship were you on? My brother was on USS America,(vietnam) my Father inlaw, USS Ranger, (and others)

Hi Gypsy,
I was on the USS Princeton LPH-5 outa LGB, Viet Nam Cruise '68 and Apollo X pick-up May'69. Also the USS Okinawa LPH-3 Viet Nam '70. I remember being in Subic on the Princeton when the America was in port there.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out