CarrieByTheSea

Before I Pay for Geeks On Call--Can Anyone Help?

I have Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I just started getting the "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" error today.

It has caused all sorts of miscellaneous problems. All the answers I Googled seemed old and pertaining to Service Pack 2. No downloads (that I saw) on Microsoft.com to correct error for SP3.

My McAffee today has "detected and removed a trojan" twice. Shows my computer secure and a quick scan (full scan just done this past Saturday) have not turned up any problems.

Help?
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

A good start would be to go to McAffee's website, look for their support section, and try to find the specific trojan that McAffee reported was removed. See if they have any recommendations for follow-up actions you might need to take.

Do you have system restore turned on?
Owned by Remi #?

Some stuff an AV won't be able to touch while the system is up. You can google the name of what your AV found and will typically find a specialized repair program and/or instructions from people like McAfee.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My usual response when dealing with windows errors is if I can't fix it quickly and easily, format it and start over, and grab your personal files from your backups. Usually faster than trying to troubleshoot it and a lot less headache. I did tech support on windows machines when I was in college, and I'm so over it.

I have a lot less patience with windows than most, though.

this is the way forward.

especially good is to get your computer set up the way you want, programs installed etc, then save an image of it onto a spare partition or ext hard drive.

save your data to somewhere other than the windows partition.

then if it starts acting fruity you just restore the computer from the image. job done.
Dude #320
"Superstitious" is just a polite way of saying "incredibly fucking stupid".
DONK!

this is the way forward.

especially good is to get your computer set up the way you want, programs installed etc, then save an image of it onto a spare partition or ext hard drive.

save your data to somewhere other than the windows partition.

then if it starts acting fruity you just restore the computer from the image. job done.

Oooooh! I like! Been meaning to pick up an external drive.

I have a lot less patience with windows than most, though.

I have a lot less patience than most. Period. :D:P

Since I did the system restore, it has not come up again, but I do not think it has been long enough. I have rebooted three times today and each time it came up, but I want to say it took about 30 minutes before it did.

After the system restore, my "real-time scanning" kept turning off and I would be alerted and turn it back on. Then, after 10 minutes waiting for my computer to shut down on its own, I turned off the battery box and turned it back on a minute later. It did not say the usual "your computer was not shut down properly", but just started normally. This time I logged in to my other user, checked McAfee and all was fine. I have since logged him off and switched back to me.

If you're having those kinds of shut down and start up issues, grab whatever data you haven't backed up off that drive now. Something is very wrong.

What I would do:

Format
Reinstall OS
Reinstall programs
Add files from most recent back-up.
Virus Scan and Spyware check.

Let system run a few days.
If no further issues, add your all prior backed up files.

That way, if one of the files you grab today is infected, hopefully you'll know it before you dump all your other backups on it.

A good start would be to go to McAffee's website, look for their support section, and try to find the specific trojan that McAffee reported was removed.

Just happened again. (Still no "error" message reported earlier.) This time I clicked for further info and the trojan "Artemis!8B8CD6B37F20" was linked and I clicked it which took me to McAfee which stated "0". Googling now...

I have a similar problem, and I woulld like to try re-installing the OS, but I don't know where to find it. This computer is not online, and the stores no longer sell xp. I bought this computer with the Windows xp already installed, and there was no disc that came with it.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

My roommate got it on eBay. YMMV.

I have heard positive things about Windows 7. I don't usually trust a microsoft product until it's been out a while, so I am still skeptical. The roommate loves it, and she's a lot more of a windows person than I am. I went Mac about six years ago.

I have a similar problem, and I woulld like to try re-installing the OS, but I don't know where to find it. This computer is not online, and the stores no longer sell xp. I bought this computer with the Windows xp already installed, and there was no disc that came with it.

You should have a holographic M$FT Product Key on your machine somewhere (unless it was a generic or bootleg).

Download an XP image from any torrent site and use it with your product key. This is not illegal. It's the PK that matters. You'll probably need product-specific drivers too.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Ok, here are a few things to try

go to www.malwarebytes.org download and install the free version, run a full scan. Fix problems.

Then if you really want to go to town on a trojan removal, you can use ComboFix. It is a bit geeky, but works.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/combofix

Follow the instructions carefully.

After you are done with combofix, run malwarebytes again and see if you are still infected
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

hope it's not a boot sector virus, i'm not sure if that would cause those symptoms with the startup or not, kinda sounds like it could be. to get rid of this you have to do a low level format of your hard drive and flash the bios. i wouldn't recomend this unless you are prepared to trash the computer, cause if you screw it up, it's a paperweight. of course, i'd do it to mine, but i've been known to screw up pretty good sometimes. i got 2 desktops sitting on my kitchen table and a laptop in the bedroom that i'm not prepared to give up on just yet....
http://kitswv.com

A good start would be to go to McAffee's website, look for their support section, and try to find the specific trojan that McAffee reported was removed.

Just happened again. (Still no "error" message reported earlier.) This time I clicked for further info and the trojan "Artemis!8B8CD6B37F20" was linked and I clicked it which took me to McAfee which stated "0". Googling now...

Take a screen shot of the error and post it, to do so, wait till the error pops up and hit the "Prnt Scrn" button on your computer (usually on the top right of most laptops keyboards)

Then open mspaint and hit CTRL+V, that should paste the screen shot, feel free to crop the stuff not relevant out and post the pic.

I can go as far troubleshooting it as you want, it doesn't sound like a machine killer, just needs some help getting back to normal.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Search your computer for a folder labeled 'i386' and see if the setup.exe program in it works... I would always copy the install files to the computer so you dont need the disk every time you installed something, it would copy them from the hard drive. Its not uncommon.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Take a screen shot of the error and post it, to do so, wait till the error pops up and hit the "Prnt Scrn" button on your computer (usually on the top right of most laptops keyboards)

Then open mspaint and hit CTRL+V, that should paste the screen shot, feel free to crop the stuff not relevant out and post the pic.

Did all except post pic, because having trouble reducing size so you can still read the error.

First, a public THANK YOU! to Robert for his assistance. :)
For future reference, for those who get this error: my computer was infected. I went through McAfee virus removal remote assistance twice yesterday and again this morning, and finally all is removed. (Still proceeding with caution).

No word of caution, unfortunately, as to what caused it. I always take proper precautions--even go overboard by most standards.

The main thing was everytime I clicked a link not saved to favorites (i.e. from a Google search) I would be redirected someplace else--and always still had the green "McAfee secure" box. I closed the window each time this happened which is important to note to those of you who may encounter such a problem in the future. Per McAfee, had I conducted any sort of trade through any redirected website, my information/security would have been compromised.

I hope that helps! :)