virgin-burner

Gran Turismo 5

well, it's out, finally.. after six long years of waiting, all they come up with is this!?!?

i want my money back!

this is diappointing; dont get me wrong, i think it's a "nice" game. but only that. NOT what i or probably most would of expected..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

...after six long years of waiting

maybe it was designed for someone 'younger', you know someone without access to a real car...:P

well, it's advertised as "real drving simulator"; how often do you get to drive a lamborghini at full speed on a racetrack!? i dont nearly as much as i would love to.. :P
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

It's not cheap but iRacing (available only on PCs) is arguably the best online virtual driving simulator available to the general public. In iRacing you race against other humans, there is no faulty AI competition. Because it is a subscription service, the people who drive on iRacing are serious about their racing and are not there to purposely wreck others (plus there is a protest system if you do encounter wreckers). The tracks are extremely accurate (ovals and road courses) as they have all been laser scanned. If there is a bump on the track in the real world, you will feel the same bump in iRacing. Finally the cars are also reasonably accurate (minus the physical sensations we get in the real world) and they are definitely not easy cars to drive at their limits.

If you want an arcade experience Grand Turismo is a good way to go. But if you want something a little more realistic (minus the physical sensations), iRacing is second to none for the general public. But it's not cheap. [:/]

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Am I the only one with no clue WTF this is about?[:/]

Click here and read up on it.

If you don't understand why people like virtual driving simulators, well that is a different can of worms. I prefer driving my real world '97 Porsche 911 at my local race track in "Open Lapping" sessions. But time, money and nasty winter weather 1/2 of the year prevent me from doing it as much as I would like and so I flock to the virtual world when I can't do it in the real world.

Grand Turismo likely has great graphics, but if someone wants to play something a tad more realistic, there are better alternatives out there.

Quick explanation~

Kids use to go outside and play with Hot Wheels and imagine they were driving them around.

Kids now sit on the couch and play with pictures of Hot Wheels...and imagine they were driving them around.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

HummmKay...not my idea of a good time, but whatever flips yer fin!B|

Why do you choose to judge people who are different than yourself? If you don't think motorsports is cool, that's fine. Keeping that opinion to yourself would have been the better thing to do here. But there is no shortage of people out there in the world who actually like motorsports. For those who can not do it in the real world, it is nice to know that they can still have some fun in the virtual world. :P

BTW ... airtwardo is correct in saying that "Grand Turismo 5" is geared more towards the younger console gamer crowd.

Why do you choose to judge people who are different than yourself? If you don't think motorsports is cool, that's fine. Keeping that opinion to yourself would have been the better thing to do here. But there is no shortage of people out there in the world who actually like motorsports. For those who can not do it in the real world, it is nice to know that they can still have some fun in the virtual world. :P

BTW ... airtwardo is correct in saying that "Grand Turismo 5" is geared more towards the younger console gamer crowd.

How is giving "MY" Opinoon "Judging" anyone? [:/]

..but should be geared more towards the "older" crowd - well, 'twardo excluded - and should be more of a "driving experience" anyway..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Quick explanation~

Kids use to go outside and play with Hot Wheels and imagine they were driving them around.

Kids now sit on the couch and play with pictures of Hot Wheels...and imagine they were driving them around.

sad but true. but today i went out and fly my airplane over somebody "playing" with and RC one, and sang "Nah Nah Na nahh nahh" :ph34r:

Quick explanation~

sad but true. but today i went out and fly my airplane over somebody "playing" with and RC one, and sang "Nah Nah Na nahh nahh" :ph34r:

aint no sunshine when she's gone..

aint no sunshine when she's away, anytime, anywhere..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

well, it's out, finally.. after six long years of waiting, all they come up with is this!?!?

i want my money back!

this is diappointing; dont get me wrong, i think it's a "nice" game. but only that. NOT what i or probably most would of expected..

BTW ... you never were specific as to where you think this game comes up short. Even iRacing (IMHO the best motorsports sim available to the general public) has issues. These games have come a long way in the last decade, but they still have a long way to go.

..... But there is no shortage of people out there in the world who actually like motorsports. For those who can not do it in the real world, it is nice to know that they can still have some fun in the virtual world. :P

While spending some time in Dubai I got to hang out here for a while:
http://www.dubaiautodrome.com/

For about $200 US I got to drive a Ferrari and a Lamborghini around the track for a while.:ph34r:

They got the prices up on the web site. A UAE Durham usually hangs at about 3.5 per dollar. Definitely worth the time if you are that way.:ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

For about $200 US I got to drive a Ferrari and a Lamborghini around the track for a while.:ph34r:

They got the prices up on the web site. A UAE Durham usually hangs at about 3.5 per dollar. Definitely worth the time if you are that way.:ph34r:

$200 is a pretty good deal. How many laps did you get? I pay about $200 for four hours of open lapping at my local race track (not nearly as nice as the Dubai track) and I have to supply my own car. I did spend $1700 this year for a full day in a Formula Renault car. Tons of fun, but I think I am done driving Formula cars (too expensive) and will stick to driving road cars on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuNclPBcyPs

$200 is a pretty good deal. How many laps did you get? I pay about $200 for four hours of open lapping at my local race track (not nearly as nice as the Dubai track) and I have to supply my own car. I did spend $1700 this year for a full day in a Formula Renault car. Tons of fun, but I think I am done driving Formula cars (too expensive) and will stick to driving road cars on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuNclPBcyPs

It was one hour for $200. I got one hour in a Ferrari and one hour in a Lambo. I don't know if they offer the same deals any more. Fast cars to the general public is probably expensive. This was several years ago.

But Arabs have all the money.:P
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

i want my money back!

BTW ... you never were specific as to where you think this game comes up short. Even iRacing (IMHO the best motorsports sim available to the general public) has issues. These games have come a long way in the last decade, but they still have a long way to go.

well, there's about six different versions of the toyota yaris/vitz, whatever it's called in the US. that goes for all those rice-cups, but you only have around 200 "cool" cars like the lambos and so on. only 200 are actually "premium", that means as detailed as they get. then the graphics are WAY behind of what the ps3 is capable of. only additions to new tracks are the nürburgring i think, but they take the supercool oval test-track out? WTF!?

and i'm not even complaining about the tearing, it just doesnt look as good as they tried to sell/promise it to the public. it doesnt live up to its expectations in MANY fields..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

There are a number of things wrong with the Code Master's "F1 2010" game, but I am still having fun with it. I play the PC version with a wheel and pedals attached to my desk. I believe rFactor2 and GTR3 are on the horizon to be released sometime in the next year or two. Both of those games should be good when they are released, but I still say "iRacing" is the best racing sim for public consumption. But it is not cheap as it is a subscription service and you must also buy extra tracks and cars beyond the freebies that they give you.

There are a number of things wrong with the Code Master's "F1 2010" game, but I am still having fun with it. I play the PC version with a wheel and pedals attached to my desk. I believe rFactor2 and GTR3 are on the horizon to be released sometime in the next year or two. Both of those games should be good when they are released, but I still say "iRacing" is the best racing sim for public consumption. But it is not cheap as it is a subscription service and you must also buy extra tracks and cars beyond the freebies that they give you.

i have heard/read about iracing, they say it's the best race-sim out there..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

" only additions to new tracks are the nürburgring i think, but they take the supercool oval test-track out? WTF!?

'BURG' was in 4

It is imho, the best track of them all. About the only driving experience lacking on this course is o/r.

If you aren't into vid games like "WOW", (I'm not) this is, or can be hours of wasting time and enjoying it, but 1st you have to like this type of entertainment.

Custom building your car can be great fun, but you have to win money racing to afford the upgrades and Unlocks. Suspension, tires, engine and trans all can be tweeked.

I haven't seen 5 yet, just a guess, but me thinks a fat guy wearing mostly red & white will surprise me with my own.

WHAT! no super track? how the hell can you earn $$ fast enough to upgrade, or what about the missions, including drafting with the slowest cars on earth ....

Wait, don't tell, I would like something of a surprise left besides expecting more and getting zilch.

thx for the heads up ... not... :-/

james

"exit fast, fly smooth, dock soft and smile"
'nother james

i played gran turismo from it's day on the ps1, only part i left out was gt4 because my ps2 got fucked..

so, i'm a "gran turista" since day one; obviously, i like them..

it's not a BAD game; just all those expectations that have been hyped up for like the last six years.. are not met!

there are missions, and there IS cool stuff included, i wont tell you now, but yea, it just misses the "knack", if you know what i mean..

i dont understand your "fat guy mostly wearing red and white"-comment.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda