Nataly

The joys of moving house...

So I moved last week to a new city in France and I'm giggling about it now but I wasn't laughing then!!!

The first thing that didn't exactly go well is the truck I rented... I moved all my shit from London in a massive moving van - I selected the same size vehicle for this move... What I got instead was a lunch-box-on-wheels!!! I almost cried when I saw the miniature van pull up with just 3 cubic meters of space!! I wish now I had taken a picture - it looked like something you would only see in a movie!! I couldn't believe they even bother to manufacture such a uselessly small van!

I asked what the hell, and the response (complete with a lot of French shrugging and apathy) was that they had run out of what I ordered and this was the next best thing they could offer! Like really - couldn't they have gone one size Up instead?! :|

So miraculously I squeezed everything in - I swear I have mad skillz when it comes to packing... I could fit a piano in my backpack!! :D:D. Only issue is it was so full I couldn't see out of the right window, so couldn't turn right with a clear conscience and so missed my exit several times because of possible traffic I couldn't see!! D'oh!! :S

So I get here and take All my crap into the appartment... On the last trip up the stairs, wouldn't ya know it, I spot someone coming out of the elevator... THERE WAS AN ELEVATOR!!! Double d'oh!! :D:D

By this point, I'm just pretty pleased it's mostly done, so I decide to bring back the van in the morning because anyway it's now too late because by the time I bring the van back their office would be shut. So I get up at 04:30 the next day to be able to return the van at the agreed 08:00 deadline... I make it - no probs. Then I pick up my bike and it suddenly starts chucking down rain B|. And so the 3 hour ride back took more like 4 hours and I was soaked... But hey, I parked the bike and took an uber long warm bath and went to bed (at like 3 in the afternoon!!) and thought actually, life is good...

In a new town (Nice - on the French Riviera) and got some friends in the neighbourhood and overall it was hard work but well worth it :)
Still can't believe that mini-van, though!! :D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

.... pull up with just 3 cubic meters of space!!

She speaks metric!!
I was prepared for a million cubic inches and a silly fraction at the end. :D

In case you thought I was exaggerating, no... It really was only 3 cubic meters. My first thought was "my handbag won't even fit in that - how do you expect me to put my whole life in it??!" :D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

.... pull up with just 3 cubic meters of space!!

She speaks metric!!
I was prepared for a million cubic inches and a silly fraction at the end. :D

In case you thought I was exaggerating, no... It really was only 3 cubic meters. My first thought was "my handbag won't even fit in that - how do you expect me to put my whole life in it??!" :D:D

No no, i think i have seen one of those.
I am suprised you could get everything in there, but im glad everything worked out for you.

But i was a bit off on my guess. Its only 183071 and 1/4 cubic inches.
Now this thread is US-friendly :D

But i was a bit off on my guess. Its only 183071 and 1/4 cubic inches.
Now this thread is US-friendly :D

Or 9'10" cubed. :D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I wish, but not so much... I did a typical post-uni backpacking whirlwind tour of Europe, moved to London and recently settled in the south of France. Aside from the odd slightly exotic trip and the exchange-student thing that's not really a lot...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss