plowdirt

Jevelin Odyssey??

I'm getting ready to put my self on the hated waiting list. At first just the Javelin, but now I'm leaning towards the Odyssey, BUT. I seen some reviews the reserve handle cable sticks out to much. And the fully articulated harness chest ring is to close to the handle, and the main flap comes open regularly, as I was reading on some posts on here some where.

I am also thinking of the mini rings, and mini risers.

I would suppose we need some feed back on these issues, since most of the posts are a little vague on the this subject matter. THANKS IN ADVANCE. talk to ya over the next few days.

I seen some reviews the reserve handle cable sticks out to much.

I dont have a d-ring handle so I couldn't comment on this one.

And the fully articulated harness chest ring is to close to the handle

No more so than on other rigs. If you grab your chest ring instead of your reserve handle, you really need to practice yous EP's.

and the main flap comes open regularly

Mine never does. The people that have issues either have older worn out/earlier design flaps or have packing issues. My main flap is more than secure when I pack my rigs, but I have seen some really crappy stuff being jumped also.

Thats a personal choice. I believe if you want mini risers, you have to get mini rings, they arent made any other way. The advantage of larger rings is lower cutaway forces. More of an issue with highly loaded spinning malfunctions. Do some research on here about cutaway forces and Im sure you will find more than enough info. Read up and make an educated decision.

All that being said I am very happy with my Odysseys. There are a few things I would like to see Sun Path change, but they said they have no intrest in changing them. Even still, I will continue buying Javelin's until I find a rig I like better.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

talk to the manufacture. get a properly sized rig for you. cutaway cable is not a problem. most cables that are out should be stowed between the velcro. i have jumped most other rigs with a handle and the lenghts are about the same. if too long, then might be an after market handle used in place after cutaway and fear caused fingers to go straight. no flap problems and i ff at all speeds and positions. i think that most will agree that the odyssey is very comfortable. mini rings and risers are a personnal choice. i have both. sunpath reps are great to deal with and make a great product. hope this helps.

cutaway cable is not a problem. most cables that are out should be stowed between the velcro.
----------------------------------------------------------
I didn't see where plowdirt mentioned cutaway cables. If you are referring to the reserve cable that sticks out past the reserve d-ring handle, than the info that you gave is wrong.Do not stick the reserve cable end between the velcro. Doing so could cause a reserve deployment at exactly the wrong time.

Thanks Dean I all ready put that one in the processor. but as far as the RESERVE CABLE. Somewhere I read it;s to long. and the chest strap ring for the articulated harness is too close to the handle which I don't know, I'm thinking the reserve side handle. and yes practice EP's. but if it's to close maybe thats not an option for me
something about practicing now my thumb seems to virtually get caught in the ring as I go across to deploy reserve, this is a virtual imagery of what I think can be a possibility.

E

how would it cause a deployment? i have also seen where the end has snagged and caused a reserve deployment. there are a few different opinions on this i believe. what say billvon.

By tucking the excess cable into the Velcro you are not allowing the cable to move freely in the handle. If you flex the harness just right it can and has pulled the reserve pin.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I'm getting ready to put my self on the hated waiting list. At first just the Javelin, but now I'm leaning towards the Odyssey, BUT. I seen some reviews the reserve handle cable sticks out to much. And the fully articulated harness chest ring is to close to the handle, and the main flap comes open regularly, as I was reading on some posts on here some where.

I would suppose we need some feed back on these issues, since most of the posts are a little vague on the this subject matter. THANKS IN ADVANCE. talk to ya over the next few days.

The extra length on the reserve handle is there for flexibility for housing movement, should be a non issue. RWS (Vector) is the sameway.

The rings being close to the handle is usually only on small people, we have a new design on the reserve handle which eliminates any concerns with the rings and cable. The D ring now sits deeper into the pocket. We also have a new Phat daddy reserve and cutaway soft pad for easy grip.

The main flap issue is usually wrong sized canopies installed. Note I said usually. Look at most of the freefly and RW champions they wear an Odyssey. No flap issues.

Blue ones to you

I have one of these with the D-ring. The main flap is very secure and has never come open accidentally, although my rig only has about 100 jumps on it. w.r.t. articulated harness being close to the handle, both handles (cutaway and reserve) are consistently there when I reach for them. Maybe being near the articulation helps in this regard, I really don't see why people have any issue with the handle positioning, I'd never mistake the reserve for the articulated harness ring(if that's the concern?).

The reserve cable is on the long side, it does extend well into the handle, maybe by 2.5 inches or more, most of the length of the handle, I don't see this as a problem, it stays inside the loop of the D ring, maybe it could be a bit shorter. I've seen video where cable flexion caused premature reserve deployment immediately after exit so a bit of play in the cable may be a good thing. I don't have any doubts about being able to pull that handle to the limit of the cable and well beyond to pull the pin.

I'm still gear agnostic. My biggest issue with my Odyssey rig is it doesn't have a "skyhook" RSL and that might push me to a Relative Workshop rig if I was buying today, not the niggles you posted.

if you want mini risers, you have to get mini rings

I talked with Bruce at Sunpath when I ordered risers a couple weeks ago. Their usual is mini rings on mini risers and large rings on large risers, but they make the other combinations as well: mini rings on large risers and large rings on mini risers.

Mark