Groundbound

[N] what fires the Cypres?

I have been unable to find a description with pictures of an AAD or Cypres.. what is the propulsive force that activates it after it senses the excess speed and minimum altitude?

Reminder the [N] means Noob question as discussed elsewhere
A search of these terms turns up thousands of responses so it seemed easier to ask here.

I have been unable to find a description with pictures of an AAD or Cypres.. what is the propulsive force that activates it after it senses the excess speed and minimum altitude?

Reminder the [N] means Noob question as discussed elsewhere
A search of these terms turns up thousands of responses so it seemed easier to ask here.

IIRC, there is a video of one being used to cut 3mm steel cable on www.skydivingmovies.com.

Should give you a good idea of what it looks like, and you can also check out the manufacturers website for more information.

Hope that helps a little bit. ;)

Also know that ALL gasses from the "explosion" are contained in the cutter. It is still pressurized after firing for weeks. So, the "firing" does not damage the container, freebag or reserve. The airtec web site has a diagram. Too lazy to look up link.:S
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Is this about right?
The sensor (senses about 8 things) decides the jumper needs a reserve canopy out. An electrical impulse results in a blank shell discharging a 'blade' against a cable.
This cable had been preventing the reserve from deploying, therefore it now exits the container.

Thanks for the continued PMs on all my questions, too.
It's fun to learn. I especially like to learn as much as possible before I 'jump' into something!

This cable had been preventing the reserve from deploying, therefore it now exits the container.

NO NO NO! :S
It cuts the Cypres closing loop that runs through the cutter! ;)

Honestly Dude, your best bet is to go speak with a RIGGER at your local DZ and stop relying on the internet for this information. :)

Keepin' it safe!
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

>The sensor (senses about 8 things . . .)

Not 8 things. There is only one important sensor in a cypres, a barometric pressure sensor. A microcontroller reads it and decides when to fire.

>An electrical impulse results in a blank shell discharging a 'blade' against a cable.

Not really. It's a closing loop of flexible material that is cut. The closing loop holds the reserve closed. Once cut, the reserve begins a normal deployment driven (usually) by the pilot chute spring.

Not 8 things. There is only one important sensor in a cypres, a barometric pressure sensor. A microcontroller reads it and decides when to fire.

>An electrical impulse results in a blank shell discharging a 'blade' against a cable.

Not really. It's a closing loop of flexible material that is cut. The closing loop holds the reserve closed. Once cut, the reserve begins a normal deployment driven (usually) by the pilot chute spring.

Sorry. But check out the link below - it says "Cypres constantly checks 7 criteria....."
Huh! Some kind person has been feeding me tech info behind the scenes. I havent read it all yet but there is a pic here of a 3/32" braided steel cable that the cypres cut. Maybe it was just a strength demonstration, Ill check it out in detail.
http://www.cypres.cc/Downloads/6_7_1_information_material/CYPRES_presentation_folder_r5_engl.pdf

However,
http://www.makeithappen.com/spsj/cypresloop.htm
says its polyurethane cord.
Thanks

I don't know what the 7 criteria are, but I'd have to guess they're all either derived from barametric pressure or self diagnostics.

It only measures pressure. Altitude, fallrate, etc, are computed by the unit.

And yeah, they just cut the steel cable to demonstrate the strength of the cutter.

Edit: it probably measures internal temperature too.

Dave

>Sorry. But check out the link below - it says "Cypres constantly checks 7
> criteria....."

It checks several criteria, but only reads from one sensor.

>I havent read it all yet but there is a pic here of a 3/32" braided steel cable that the cypres cut.

It is indeed cool that a cypres can cut a steel cable, but that's not how they are used in rigs. They cut the closing loop, a cord made of a synthetic material that holds the reserve closed.

Sorry. But check out the link below - it says "Cypres constantly checks 7 criteria....."
Huh! Some kind person has been feeding me tech info behind the scenes. I havent read it all yet but there is a pic here of a 3/32" braided steel cable that the cypres cut. Maybe it was just a strength demonstration, Ill check it out in detail.
http://www.cypres.cc/Downloads/6_7_1_information_material/CYPRES_presentation_folder_r5_engl.pdf

However,
http://www.makeithappen.com/spsj/cypresloop.htm
says its polyurethane cord.
Thanks

Define criteria... I assume something like elapsed time, pressure, derivative of pressure, analysis of variations in derivative of pressure, guestimate of sit vs belly based on the above and fall rate & altitude derived from all of the above. All driven by two things, one internally generated; time and pressure.

It's a strength demo.

Do you know how a closing loop and pin work?

If you know this then you'd understand perfectly when it's stated that the reserve closing loop passes through a hole that is aligned with the cypress cutter.

The reserve opens in one of two ways, either the pin gets pulled to start the deployment sequence or the cypress cutting charge fires and propells the cutter through the closing loop to sever it, starting deployment even though the pin is still in place.

You should go on a first jump course and JUMP. Many of your questions would be answered.