Hooknswoop

E Thread used for seal thread

Was the pin always seated that shallow, or was that after tugging on it for a while?

In addition to being almost twice as strong as seal thread, e thread is a mono filament nylon fiber thread, meaning that it streeeeeeeetchs quite alot. Seal thread by contrast is made from cotton which doesn't have much (if any) elasticity. So yeah it looks like he was tugging on it for a while.

Mick.

Is there a very noticable difference between seal thread and E thread? (enough of a difference that it would likely be found on a gear check), or do you pretty much have to try and break it to tell the difference?

They are very similar in appearance. You would have to be looking very hard to notice the difference.

Seal thread comes off a plastic covered roll. "E" thread comes off a huge spool, very difference sources. I have been trying to figure how someone could have used "E" thread instead of seal thread and I remembered I found 2, 16-inch +/- pieces of red "E" thread in the reserve when I inspected it. I'm thinking maybe the thread was picked up off the packing room floor next to the rig when it was closed and used to seal the reserve. That is the only scenario I can come up with for "E" thread being used instead of seal thread.

Derek

Hmm, this is a good argument for the BPA guidelines where we are only allowed to seal (if we want to - it's not mandatory) using a figure-of-eight knot which doesn't affect the pull force - see document below:
http://www.bpa.org.uk/forms/docs/Form%20215%20-%20BPA%20Reserve%20Sealing%20Method.doc
or go to http://www.bpa.org.uk/forms.htm and look at form F215 (Reserve Sealing Method)

And even with this you are still only allowed to use seal thread (and yes we were taught to break it off the roll rather than cut it!)

Martin

Hmm, this is a good argument for the BPA guidelines where we are only allowed to seal (if we want to - it's not mandatory) using a figure-of-eight knot which doesn't affect the pull force - see document below:
http://www.bpa.org.uk/forms/docs/Form%20215%20-%20BPA%20Reserve%20Sealing%20Method.doc

or go to

http://www.bpa.org.uk/forms.htm

and look at form F215 (Reserve Sealing Method)

And even with this you are still only allowed to use seal thread (and yes we were taught to break it off the roll rather than cut it!)

Martin

I don't know how to go any faster than that beyond putting their seal code here and I am not going to do that. (quote)

Howabout call the FAA or look it up on the FAA database on the webstie, all you need is the seal or the cert, number and it will give you the name and address ect. of the rigger if they really have a ticket, or a pilot for the matter.

I see you made contact, this was posted for future ref.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Yes it an airmans cert.
ALL Airmans certs are in the database.
If they are real.
Pilots, A&P's, riggers.
All you need is a seal or cert. number thats is on the packing datacard both will work.
A really quick way to find out if someone is really a rigger, pilot, a&p or to find them, should you find something else that needS to be addressed like this and the party is not local.
Glad to hear you talked to them and other rigs are ok and no one was hurt or worse.

`

Do you have link to a seal code search? The only search I find available now is by first and last name. They specifically no longer allow search by cert number and don't display it since they were commonly SSN's. I think I also remember a seal code search but I haven't been able to find it in several years.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

In some reserves, and I can't remember which now, I've routinely found the interior cut threads still in the cells. I'm sure they pulled the two threads to the top, cut both, and left the inside thread in the cell. This may have been the source of the threads you saw and the thread used to seal the rig. While they look similar it's hard to believe a rigger with much experience at all couldn't tell the difference while sealing.

Was the reserve sewn with red thread? If so the cut ends were probably the source.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

well terry you maybe very wekk be right I have not done a search in a few years and will the SS# I bet your right, with i.d. stealing and nowodays. :S
That is to bad [:/]
But if someone called the local F.S.D.O. with a seal or cert. number they would get the info.
Maybe putting one on PIA riggers form would be the key seeing how hard it is to get on:P

~