Shell666

Effin snow!!!

So, we had a lot of snow here in Edmonton in January. More than we've had in a lot years (I'm guessing decades).

It's been warmer recently. Things melting. HERE is what happened to me tonight. About an hour ago ...

FML ...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=615416&id=864205396&l=8a90685883

And I leave on vacation on Tuesday morning and have to deal with THIS now ... FML ....

[:/][:/]
'Shell

When you rebuild it use 2x6 or 2x8 on 16" centers(depending on headroom)

The board on the house will need joist hangars and it will need to be 2x8 or 2x10 given the slight pitch you have.

for the snow to slide off well it will need a 8% pitch.

If less you can help it out by spraying it once every winter (before it snows) with vegetable oil or WD-40

The rafters need to run perpendicular to the house.

that sux!! Anybody get hurt? Did you see the guy on the news that fell at the end of his driveway and the snowplow buried him in snow for:( hours until his neighbor found him!!

No one was hurt. Thank god the dogs were in the house with me.
'Shell

When you rebuild it use 2x6 or 2x8 on 16" centers(depending on headroom)

The board on the house will need joist hangars and it will need to be 2x8 or 2x10 given the slight pitch you have.

for the snow to slide off well it will need a 8% pitch.

If less you can help it out by spraying it once every winter (before it snows) with vegetable oil or WD-40

The rafters need to run perpendicular to the house.

A friend came by today that works in construction and he and his brother are going to take care of the mess and rebuild it.

Considering it's been up for over 15 years, I guess it had a good life.

The table and chairs under it, not so much! :D:D
'Shell

I have been collecting french patio doors (swing type, full view no mullions) to build a greenhouse/cold frame with.

I have a cold frame that was made of 1/2" solid bar aluminum with an arch and 8mil plastic, everything was fine until we had a micro-burst.

My wife blamed me for the construction ( have an engineering background, she is a nurse who does not have any idea how to construct ANYTHING)

So this greenhouse will have all side with swinging doors, so I can ventilate, or keep them all closed, also use the doors for access to the veggies and over wintered flowers.

I am going to use translucent corrugated panels for the roof and pressure treated framing with composite 8"x8"x8' timbers for the base, each timber weighs 160lbs so it won't be blowing over.

I am hoping I can collect enough free doors to make a 16x8 greenhouse inside my existing garden.

Currently the garden is 20'x65'

I just need to mulch more since my daughter is starting to lose her zeal for weeding by hand.

Good thing is that my deck/roof over lower porch takes all the weight i could put on it, if I wanted to I could park three cars on it.B|

We had a snow day on Friday. Evidently 2 inches at night warrants a snow day.

But do not fret . . . it was in the 60's today.:D

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun