KerLaw

New Zealand ! Major Quake in Christchurch!

:(

My family is OK, and my wifes, the city is devistated and over 100 people trapped in buildings.

The toll will rise sharply tonight.

Kia Kaha Araoha nui.

Much love and stay strong people of chch.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

i stayed in BASE opposite the cathedral- i cant believe that a good bit of it is gone. glad your family is Ok- i have friends out there but are staying in Queenstown he says everything is ok down there
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

Multiply that a few million times and you get the idea of what will happen when the New Madrid fault goes.

The largest one hypothesized was to have been when Pangea slip, after that the one In Chine in 1500 was huge.

The worst ones on the New Madrid were before recorded evidence, of course the Cahokia Indians probably witnessed it but they disappeared.[:/]

A projected 9.2 or more would literally kill tens of millions.

I hope there is not a greater loss of life than what is currently known in NZ

What a lovely city. I never met a rude person there. I hope that the death toll does not rise.

Fortunately that is the case, in fact the toll has dropped considerably.

The official death toll from the Christchurch earthquake has now been confirmed as to 32.

Prime Minister John Key yesterday put the number of dead at 65, but that figure has been almost halved this morning.

Hamilton said that is because only 32 deaths have been confirmed by police.
Rescue efforts continue

Overnight, rescue teams toiled under floodlights in cold, wet conditions.

They are working to dig out survivors and the dead from buildings flattened by the earthquake that ripped the city apart.

It is believed over 100 people are missing. Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said last night that about 125 people had been pulled alive from the rubble.

The figure may rise considerably still, there is utter devistation in our humble city. People are strong and helping each other. Only time will tell the full extent of the carnage.

My mother is not allowed to return home as her town was the epicentre and the tunnel to lyttleton is only open to emergency vehicles. There are many that cannot contact each other.

All of my friends so far are all ok as well. Not so much their properties but that is less important than health.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Glad to hear that your family is safe. Two FEMA USAR teams for So. Cal are loading and should be on their way by dark. Each team has 72 people and at least 2 search dogs. They are completely self sufficient and will arrive with everything they will need for up to three weeks. They have people trained is all aspects of urban rescue and medical needs. Hopefully they will work nothing but rescues and not recoveries.
When it was first formed I was part of one of the teams.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

glad to know my best kiwi-mate is from wellington.. not so glad to hear that a friend of ours is in christchurch right now, working in one of the two malls.. any word on those? we cant get through to them.. :|

glad everyone from your end is on the safe side..

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

not so glad to hear that a friend of ours is in christchurch right now, working in one of the two malls.. any word on those? we cant get through to them..

There are many malls in chch. None are reported to be collapsed, there is one television broadcasting building that completly collapsed, with an estimated 100 people inside.

That toll is rising significantly again. The drop in the toll was only due to the official toll only counting identified bodies, there are temporary mortuaries in the army bases, as one mentioned the USA is sending some FEMA people, Australia is sending emergency personell...

My brothers house is completly ruined, so is his work, so not just those that are injured or dead are going to lose, many many Christchurch citizens are gong to be doing it tough...

:(

Liquifaction has buried cars, burst pipes flood many areas, 50% of the city is without power many places without water...

It is going to be really, really tough for chch, I feel fortunate to live on the other side of the island.

Sad stories from an Ambulance officer ......

"I became a triage officer deciding who was saveable and who wasn't. At the same time the CTV building was burning just in front of me" wrote an ambulance officer of the aftermath of the Christchurch earthquake.

The unnamed ambulance officer, on the ground in Christchurch, sent this powerful email to NewstalkZB yesterday:

I was sitting down studying. My weighted-down plasma screen went first and it just exploded. I tried to stand up and was thrown to the ground. Everything was broken. Checked on the neighbour, threw everything I could think of into the car, the dogs, and off I went to work.

It took me 45 minutes to travel the 7km into the city. Got to the station. It was condemned, inundated with over a foot of mud.

Went off to the triage centre in Latimer Square.

Bodies were being piled up in one corner . . . I was given a patient . . . she'd fallen from the top of the CTV building to the ground.

After a nightmare drive to hospital, we returned to Latimer Square . . . I became a triage officer deciding who was saveable and who wasn't. At the same time the CTV building was burning just in front of me.

It was unbelievable with the smoke, the alarms, the sirens, the helicopters and the screams.

The church opposite then collapsed following a large aftershock, narrowly missing a number of the fire and ambulance vehicles. Drugs were at a premium. Patients were arriving from everywhere.

People were dragged out, carried out on doors, on shutters. Most injuries were severe, massive crush injuries.

As we tried to make our way through the broken buildings and streets, a report came through that there were multiple trapped. On arrival I discovered it was the PGC building.

A crew had arrived on the scene some four hours earlier and had been trying to manage with minimal resources and without communications. No-one knew they were there. They had already experienced horrific sights you cannot imagine.

One held a man, gave him his cellphone so he could ring his wife. He told her he loved her, then he died. Another colleague was faced with a horribly entrapped man. There is no way he could be saved while we watched on hopelessly and helplessly and he slipped away through his horrible suffering.

Our first patient brought out was a beautiful 20-year-old girl whose spine had been shattered. She was contorted horribly and was paralysed. She was in irreversible shock and lost consciousness as we went. I fought so hard with a surgeon to keep her alive. She didn't make it.
Ad Feedback

Our last patient had been pinned for some time by his legs. Crews . . . did every damn thing they could do to get him out. In the end a surgeon had to amputate both his legs.

We waited desperately to get him into the vehicle. I drove as fast as I could on appalling roads that we could later not return on. He died as we arrived in hospital.

In the meantime, another man had been pinned by his legs by a massive beam. We arranged to uplift all the necessary drugs to prevent crush syndrome. When we returned to him he was gone.

The rain started. We were replaced. I wanted to stay but by now was working purely automatically. I returned to sign out and got taken back to my car which was now surrounded by liquefaction. I don't really want to live in Christchurch any more . . .

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/4703447/Ambulance-officer-tells-of-quake-horror

www.myspace.com/durtymac