npgraphicdesign

Cutting off all ties with a family member v. have you done it?

I haven't spoken to my dad in almost 12 years. I've consciously kept him out of my life and my life is no worse because of it. I've often thought about contacting him and letting him know that I'm alive and well, but something always holds me back....he's a complete asshole, He's mean and abusive, and he doesn't deserve to have me as a daughter.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

It can not think of a single family member that I would consider cutting off ties with and there are a handful of them that just drive me absolutely crazy or frustrate me to no end.

(Waves hi) :)
I'm happy for you as that doesn't sound like physical and/or mental abuse directly or indirectly to those you care about.

If your family isn't there to help you in a time of desperate need, who will be? And if the negativity associated with this particular family member is destroying you, maybe it would be beneficial to learn how to stay in control of how you feel about the situation / relationship.

Sometimes cutting off is the only way to control and keep them from destroying you or you doing something to them. It's simply a defense mechanism.

Family is not always defined by blood and blood is not always family.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I haven't spoken to my dad in almost 12 years. I've consciously kept him out of my life and my life is no worse because of it. I've often thought about contacting him and letting him know that I'm alive and well, but something always holds me back....he's a complete asshole, He's mean and abusive, and he doesn't deserve to have me as a daughter.

:o
You and I might be related!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

:o
You and I might be related!
So you're saying you might be her mean and abusive arsehole father?

>:(Bad Coloradan
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?