grimmie

The Official '10/'11 NHL Thread

Take a win any way you can. The Wings gave the Sharks that one. Sloppy play, bad passes, give-aways and stupid penalties not to mention, some bad calls by the officials. Usually, it would be the Wings with 46-shots on goal. I wouldn't get to worked-up, this was only the first game of the series. I know you Sharks fans would have loved to have seen Pavelski plow over Howard and put him out of the game. That seems to be the attitude on the 'Left coast'. Howard did a helluva job in net and to call him a pussy is a cheap shot. Any goalie, worth his salt would've done what he did. Poor little Pavelski was the jerk!

Chuck

Both goalies are playing very well. I don't agree with Pavelski's choice to ice Howard intentionally, which this time it looked like that was what happened. On the first game though, he had to stop. Giving an ice shower is NOT a penalty, but punching someone in the head certainly is. The fact that they both went to the box was BS, IMO.

Red wings have gotten lucky with some calls this game. If you take a look just before SJ's goal, you will see one of our guys (Couture i think) get cross checked multiple times, with no call. There was also a boarding call that was let go.
All I want is the refs to make consistent calls, I personally enjoy fewer calls and a more "player self policing" sort of game, but at least do the right thing.

I don't really think Howard is a pussy, but Pavelski certainly got under his skin and he lacked discipline when he got upset to the point of making an obvious penalty, just because he didn't like what happened. Let your D men put the hurt on them, you shouldn't be doing it.

Lets see what happens in the 3rd!

Detroit has lost their cohesiveness. They are once again, playing sloppy and putting it all on Howard. Detroit better get it together real quick or they'll see a repeat of last year. As for the officiating, they either need to go back to school and get some glasses or get someone in there who can do the job. It's not just in this series, it's been going on since the first puck drob back in October... throughout the League. We're not the only one's complaining. The League really needs to clamp-down this coming off-season.
Looks like your guys got this one, too. There's no way, Detroit can score 2-goals in less than 17-minutes, against these guys. If, Detroit doesn't shape-up soon, I can see a San Jose sweep!

Chuck

That was a nice goal by Detroit, you guys had me sweating for a minute there.

I totally agree about the officiating this year, it has been very poor.

If we win the next game, I will be able to breath, but we both know Detroit is capable of pulling it together and making it happen.

I think the word got around on the Sharks bench that Howard hates getting showered, Thornton really blasted him later in the game. I don't like to see it, but if you can piss off a player on the other team, especially the goalie, and it isn't a penalty worthy thing you are doing, then you just might have to take advantage of it.

The Sharks were trying (successful too!) to get under Detroit's skin. You're absolutely correct, a 'snow shower' on the goalie does nothing more than piss them off. Not a penalty at all. Remember Patrick Roy? He had some rather violent reactions to snow showers!:D In the last game, Howard hit Pavelski and he just reacted and gave him what he was looking for. Probably, not enough to hurt him, with a helmet on. Snow showers go back to probably, the very first hockey game.
I'd sure like to see Detroit come-back when they get back to Detroit. Are you aware of Detroit's 'at home' record this past season? It's not good! Then too, it is the play-offs and anything can happen.

Chuck

Not many guys used to spray snow on Billy Smith or Ron Hextall.:P

Getting a blocker to the face tends to deter people haha;)

Detroit looked like a junior team out there for most of the game today, they were lucky howard was playing as well as he was, although the 2nd goal was a softie

They better start playing better and holmstrom has to get his shit wired (he was some rattled) or they are gonna be sent packing early in the 2nd round
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I've been thinking about the snow shower on Howard thing. The bottom line is, the Sharks are trying to and doing a good job of getting under the Wings skin. The snow shower thing is really amaturish, the refs could stop it but they won't and it's working. What the Wings really need to do is return the favor to Niemi. For some reason though, when the Wings do it, it comes back to bite them in the butt. There was a time when, if a player gave a snow shower to a goalie, 5-players saw to it he didn't return to the game! The Wings just need to get angry, protect their goalie and keep the puck in the Sharks zone. The Wings are known throughout the League as 'soft'. They need to get tough and get under the Sharks skin. Play their game and put them on their heels. Otherwise, this series will be over after two more games. As for the officiating... it stinks! If, a coach says anything about it, they get fined. There was one non call when one of the Wings was getting off the ice and was in the gate of the bench when one of the Sharks slammed into him... no call! Just things like that. They aren't calling the obvious penalties but are calling things that are border-line at best. The refs are BS! Throughout the League. We can thank Bettman for that! That's another story. The whole situation is frustrating and aggrivating and it's hurting the game.

Chuck

How about Tampa! Got the Caps down 3-0. Nashville not mounting any offence tonight but Rinne is an awesome goaltender. Cold be another upset?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Well... I sure learned something! In watching the Wings-Sharks game, Mickey Redmond pointed-out that; "The refs could've called an un-sportsmanlike penalty but for some reason, didn't!"
I also read where the Sharks coach thought his players 'showering' Howard were 'being juvenile'.
Anyhow, tonight's game is a real nail-biter!
Go Wings!

Chuck

Yes, I did see the re-play and yes, it was a bit of a horse-shit call. No different than some of the calls and non-calls in this series. Maybe, they should take one dollar from each ticket sold for every hockey game and get all the refs some good glasses!!! The officiating really makes the game frustrating!
I'd sure like to see the Wings make a series of it.

GO WINGS!!

Chuck