Skyper

Horse shoe + cut-off + reserve

You are entering a grey zone here. A horseshoe is one of the worst scenarios. If that happens first thing is to pull right away your pilot chute if it is still in the pocket. If that doesn't solve the problem that means your main is attached to a part of your equipment or your body. I think I would pull my reserve and hoping for the best. Time is valuable and you don't have to waste it especially if pulling the cut away handle has a lot of chance to be useless.[:/]

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Please, let's not go there.
There is a reason for the cutaway. There is a reason for having a hard deck. There is a reason for having a decision altitude.
Let's not ignore all that, eh?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

In that case, the procedure was mandatory by (outdated) regulations. Personally I think it`s not the way it should be thought and average student would have great difficulty doing all this things in right way and in available time.

Still, not cutting away main had nothing to do with that fatality. It was more entanglement with spectra cord that connected main opening handle to the harness.
dudeist skydiver #42

Hi Mircan thank you for quick response. I read that fatality report and related tread thoroughly. I do understand that main reason for this horseshoe accident was spectra cord.

Do you thik this guy would make better chances for survival if he managed to release the risers manualy prior the reserve pull (after brakeaway)?

Why would it be needed to release RSL prior brakeaway?

Do you thik this guy would make better chances for survival if he managed to release the risers manualy prior the reserve pull (after brakeaway)?

Maybe. I don`t know really, I was not there. I have just read the report and saw photos.

Why would it be needed to release RSL prior brakeaway?

To allow little time for the main risers to clear the area above jumper for cleaner reserve deployment. Still, poor guy in question was falling little head-low and more on his left side so reserve just got fired right into trailing ball of shit.
dudeist skydiver #42

Yes.

Now you know why a horseshoe is a skydiver's worst nightmare.

It may happen that the cutaway main may disentangle itself on cutaway...odds are small but it has happened.

What causes horseshoe mals is:
1. Improper main deployment throw-out
2. Bad body position at opening
3. Poor gear maintenance

Prevention options are:
1. Proper throw for a throw-out system
2. Ripcord system where there's no throw involved.
3. Good body position at opening
4. Proper gear mantenance

I'd just add one more possible preventative practice to that list:

5. Pack hand-deploy pilot chute using Brian Germain's packing method

While it won't stop the pilot chute from wrapping around your leg in a bad body position situation, it will more likely extract the PC from the pouch if pressure is put on the bridle than if you use the traditional pilot chute packing method.

Otherwise, agree with everything you listed. ;)
Signatures are the new black.

I don't know if it has been said or not, but I was just looking at Mr. Germains video regarding this very issue and his proposed method of packing ones PC and well....I gave it a shot and well.....it works!
It's so simple!
To test I just packed it per his video and well...I grabbed the bridle and yanked the heck out of it and out came the PC with out any issues!
Maybe if students were tought how to pack their PC this way there would be less HS issues?
Just a thought.....from the new guy.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!