jumpwally

Wrist Alti

In recent threads there were discussions about fingers and gloves getting caught in tension knots and what have you......is the wrist mounted alti really a good idea? Its such a large snag point,,,,has anyone ever had an issue? i never had an issue seeing it on my chest strap and it never bit me,,,,,,,,yet. Just wondering who thinks what out there. thanx
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

has anyone ever had an issue?

Yes, on two occasions where I ended up in line twists (bad body position during deployment) I had my hands on my rears. My alti hand got stuck between the risers but I was able to wrench it out.

Scarey.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Yes, on two occasions where I ended up in line twists (bad body position during deployment) I had my hands on my rears. My alti hand got stuck between the risers but I was able to wrench it out.

Ian,

did you change anything as a result of the experience? I've been thinking about the tiny neptune as the next toy purchase, but I like having an analog on my wrist and that new LB analog/digital coming looks interesting.

The old Alti II's with the adjustment knob sticking out are not my favorite. Besides that model I don't think they are a significant hazard.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

did you change anything as a result of the experience?

Yep. As the canopy starts deploying I have my hands much lower on the rear risers. I realize it's still a possibility that they'll get caught, but it's unlikely that I'll have such poor body position that the risers will twist so low. I can still slide them up quickly if I need to perform evasive manuevers after opening but I've kept them as out of the way as I can after these experiences.

I've been thinking about the tiny neptune as the next toy purchase,

Yeah I have one now too. It'd be much easier to rip off it's screws (good thing if your hand is stuck) than a solid alti as well. Not to mention is has a much smaller profile.

Anyone else have any other techniques they use?

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

One TM/camera flyer at my DZ use to have his wrist alti on his right wrist. Never could figure out why, and yes, he still hand a right hand BOC.

Maybe that location is just hardwired into his mind?

I have a few hundred hours underwater with a computer timer/depth gauge on the left hand. But the bouyancy control is also on the left and every now and then you need to ascend in a controlled manner in water with no reference points. So I tried moving the computer to my right hand, put the compass on the left. I didn't like it much - I'm used to looking to the left every few minutes to get my data.