CanopyPiloting

Details on the new "JVX" Extreme...

The problem with your theory is in the picture of the VX the canopy is being loaded with the weight of a jumper (plus g-forces)

In the picture of the JVX the canopy is only being kited with no load under it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

All good points. In this case I will just wait and see what happens with the performance of the JVX. If Jim wins everything he enters this year, he will sell some canopies. If he performs as he has over the last 5 years, well... you get the picture.

I guess we are lucky that canopies are as good as they are given the tiny size of the parachute industry, and the relative amount that can be spent researching and developing. I doubt that worldwide sales of xbrace canopies exceeds 1000, and I would be very surprised if it ever hit 2000. Given those numbers, a highly esocteric competition canopy that would do well to capture 20% of the market (a very aggressive goal) would be hoping to sell maybe 200 canopies a year, but I think that is a very high number. In creating a business plan (I hope there is one) for a product like this figuring out the potential market and the percent you hope to capture are difficult yet critical. I don't know what the sales goal is for a product like the JVX, but splintering the already tiny market (1000 units a year) for xbrace canopies is far riskier than flying them.

Best of luck to anyone who tries to make better canopies, and even more luck to make money doing it.

Cya! :P

Given those numbers, a highly esocteric competition canopy that would do well to capture 20% of the market (a very aggressive goal) would be hoping to sell maybe 200 canopies a year, but I think that is a very high number.

200 canopies x $2500 = $500,000

was your guestimate just for the US? there's a whole rest of the world out there. i'm sure australia and europe together match the US market. seems profitable to me.

seems profitable to me.

You're only including gross sales, and then only at the dealer level. For a true number you'll need to take out at least the following from your calculation:

* Markup at the dealer as the manufacturer won't see any of that.
* Business costs at the manufacturer:
+ R&D
+ Normal operating expenses such as:
- Salaries/Hourly wages
- Rent
- Equipment costs
- Utility costs . . .

I'm sure you get the idea.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

these canopies aren't avaliable through any dealers, only the manufacturer

I am not a dealer, but you can now get them through me. Just because I have jumped one and I now compete with it, I also paid for it, and I am a 100% believer in it. They have given me permission to take orders to who I see fit for one.

I'm also getting ready to buy my JVX 2.0B|

Hey,,I'm with her !!! Too anal about this stuff. How about a place where you can do active,live inter-active advertising with the person or company selling it? Just think of it as a live TV comercial that you can stop and ask it questions or call BS. I like my idea ,,damn...B|:D
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083