murrays

World Juniors - 2009-10

The WJC (ice hockey) is being held in my home town, Saskatoon, and in the city of Regina with all playoff games in Saskatoon. Pretty exciting event for our city.

I'm just watching Canada-Latvia. It ain't pretty, the poor Latvians are down 7-0 early in the second period. Make that 8-0.

The big question is whether the Canadians can win Gold again and make it 6 years in a row. The last two years they have played for the gold against Sweden. A few days ago Canada and Sweden had an exhibition game and it was a pretty chippy affair that the Canadians won 6-3 but needed some huge goaltending to do so. They were both trying to send a message....so if they meet again in the playoffs it will be an awesome game.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Never say never!

New England Patriots had their 19-0 record trademarked going into the Super Bowl two years ago....they looked unbeatable and they lost.

George Foreman looked unbeatable...and Muhammad Ali won.

In sports anything can happen!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Never say never!

New England Patriots had their 19-0 record trademarked going into the Super Bowl two years ago....they looked unbeatable and they lost.

Yeah, nobody gave the USA a rat's ass chance in hell of beating the Soviets in the 1980 Olympics. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The truth is unless you are a junior hockey scout it is really hard to tell how we match up against the other powers until the match. The turnover from year to year is so dramatic even last year's result is of marginal significance; most of the eligible players from last year's team are in the NHL now and not released for the tourney.
Had to feel bad for the Latvian goalie though.

Never say never!

Yeah, nobody gave the USA a rat's ass chance in hell of beating the Soviets in the 1980 Olympics. ;)

Canada-USA is tied at 1 after the first period. Canada is being badly outplayed by the US imo. Bad, bad turnovers, tentative with the puck and the US forecheck is really good. American players are outskating our guys to the puck. Gotta make some adjustments for our guys to get the bye!

Edited to add: Second period over USA 3 Canada 2. Two shorthanded goals by the Americans. We are lucky to be only down 1 as the US had a penalty shot and another wideopen breakaway and both required good saves. Canada looks like they are skating in sand and sleepwalking.

edited - Canada 5-4 winning in a shootout. After the USA hit the post early in the third it was all Canada. Scored a short-handed goal to tie it. Awesome game but one Canada was lucky to get the win in.
--
Murray

I couldn't agree more Murray. Especially about the boys being tentative with the puck and being outworked. I noticed the tentativeness issue during previous games but it was being swamped by the talent differential. Time for the boys to pull up their socks.

I hope that this game was the wake-up call they needed because they are real lucky not to be playing today. I'd like to see a rematch if USA can get by the Swedes...and Finland today.
--
Murray

Big upset!

Switzerland scored in OT to knock the Russians out of the tournament!

The TSN article says the Swiss goaltender was phenomenal, making 50 saves....not like Swiss Cheese this time. Hot goaltender can make things very interesting. Tomorrow afternoon against Canada in the first semifinal.
--
Murray

CANADA! CANADA! CANADA!

Don't count on it. The American team is going to come out with a vengeance and won't let another game slip away like they did on New Year's Eve. I don't want Team USA to win but I have a feeling they are going to. I think the Canadians think they are going to win by virtue of just being Canadian...it's going to take a lot more than that.

(I'm going to the Bronze medal game tomorrow....what is it with my boss that he kept the Gold Medal tix for himself???)
--
Murray

I am so impressed by the speed of some of the US forwards....incredible sets of wheels.

Pietrangelo gone for 10...can't afford to take penalties like that. It was a pretty weak checking from behind penalty I thought but they have to cal that stuff to keep people from being injured like Hamonic was against the Swiss.

Shit 3-2 US....it cost us.

3-3 End of the Second and now Canada has fallen behind by two...turnover at the blue line leading to a 2 on 1 that DAmigo buried and then a brutal misplay of a shoot-in by our goalie lead to another goal as Stepan came in all alone.

If Canada comes back to tie this up it'll be a comeback to remember....but I'm not holding my breath.
--
Murray

Nail biter! That third Canada goal was WEAK! Nothing like pinning our hopes on the 17 year old! USA! USA! USA!B|

Hell of a hockey game. Congratulations to the USA players. They pulled it off after losing a two goal lead with 3 minutes to play....and that takes heart.
--
Murray