JohnRich

Ripcord Main Deployment

But now, with our faster fall rates, that problem is rare.

The faster the fall rate, the larger the 'burble'.

Um, I think you must mean that it extends vertically higher behind the back. But I don't think it would be as wide compared to an old balloon suit.

Um, I think you must mean that it extends vertically higher behind the back.

Right. And it is more 'powerful'. With a balloon suit it is wider, but not as strong. Either way, a spring loaded PC can/would still get caught in the jumper's burble. Way back when, when double zippered suits were popular, before balloon suits, jumpers put 2 PC's on their mains to prevent hesitations. One would still hesitate, but rarely both.

I wonder if spring loaded PC's weren't required if reserves would use them? It would make AAD deployments a problem.

Derek

Derek

I wonder if spring loaded PC's weren't required if reserves would use them? It would make AAD deployments a problem.

Bill Booth said that he thought about designing hand deployed reserve PC, but the AAD made that basically impossible. He also added that it is better for the reserve to be "remotely" operated in the sometime present "panic" mode.

put two pilot chutes in his X-Bo reserve container.

What I remember from reading about those dual pilot-chute setups, is that they didn't really work any better than a single pilot chute. They would fight each other for the same air, with each one alternately inflating then collapsing, as the other gained dominance.

dual pilot-chute setups

I borrowed a 2-pilot chute rig from a friend for awhile during my late student career. I think it had two pilot chutes because
a. it maximized the lifespan of each of the ragged-out pilot chutes
b. it made packing that rig (a barely-extended B4 with cones) the worst pain in the ass imaginable.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)