yoink

IT folks - where do you source your components from?

It depends on how much you want to do yourself. I decided years ago to quit building them myself and was able to find a local shop that's staffed with clueful people who will let me pick the components and then put it all together for a reasonable fee. If you want to do it all yourself, newegg is one good source for components.

Unfortunately I'm in VA so the local place I mentioned isn't going to help you (looks like you're in CA). Maybe try tomshardware.com for more info?
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
--Mario Andretti

Find a CompUSA, they're the store front for Newegg.

I go there for just about anything computer related... It helps they're only a couple blocks away.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm thinking of building a new desktop PC and wondered if you guys would recommend any particular vendors for components?

Definitely Newegg.

I'm assuming it's like back in the UK and they'll be much cheaper online?

If you're looking to build a basic computer, it's hard to beat the big names. If you have specific requirements like a super-duper gaming video card, you *might* match their price after upgrade...or might not.

I prefer being able to get the parts *I* want to put in the computer, and not have to strip out all the pre-installed crap that the vendors put on it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I prefer being able to get the parts *I* want to put in the computer, and not have to strip out all the pre-installed crap that the vendors put on it.

That's a big part of it. My requirements aren't over the top of any decent system from a vendor, but I much prefer knowing the quality of all the bits that go in it, and that it's set up the way I want... and don't get me started on the preinstalled crap that comes with some setups! GRR! :D

cheers folks. I'll give newegg a go.

Find a CompUSA, they're the store front for Newegg.

No they aren't.

CompUSA is the store front for Tiger Direct, there was a merger some time back.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto