BillyVance

Plane crash at Deland??? (Not a skydiving plane)

Ok, so the latest from Local Orlando News, the plane has been confirmed as an anfib. yes it crashed into the publix, three shoppers were treated and released, pilot and passenger flown to ORMC, no word on condition. some speculation as to taking off or landing now. but i'm sure the details will slowly come out overnight as they get to talk to the pilot or passenger (if possible) It definitely was not a Skydive DeLand aircraft. That all I have to say about that...:P

Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/4/3/publix_plane_crash_d

DELAND --

Investigators are trying to figure out what went wrong after a small plane crash landed into a crowded Publix in DeLand Monday evening.

On Tuesday morning, the National Transportation Safety Board said the plane was mostly destroyed by fire after crashing through the roof of the supermarket.

By the time investigators deemed it safe to enter the building, the only part of the plane left intact was the engine block.

The NTSB will hold a second news conference at 4:30 p.m.

———————————————
Pilot, passenger identified

Two people, identified as Kim Presbrey and Thomas Rhoades, were aboard the small plane when it crashed.

Both victims are male and remain in critical condition with severe burns at Orlando Regional Medical Center. It was not immediately known which of the two was piloting the plane.

The pair took off from runway 23-5 at DeLand Municipal Airport around 7:20 p.m. Monday. That runway points in the direction of the Publix less than 2 miles away, which is why the plane was over the shopping center.

Witnesses on the ground said the plane appeared to have engine trouble after takeoff.

As it made a U-turn over the Publix, witnesses said the engine sputtered and died, sending the plane spiraling down through the roof of the grocery store before it exploded.

Officials at the airport said the pilot followed protocol before the crash.

Most of the people who come to DeLand Municipal Airport are pilots of private planes or skydivers. The airport is hosting a big skydiving exposition starting Tuesday, and some of those expected to attend may likely know the two people on board the small plane that crashed.

The airport has been an important part of the city since it opened as a naval training center during World War II.

But even with such a long history, city leaders said they could not recall a plane crash of the magnitude of Monday's.

———————————————
About the experimental plane

The single-engine plane was a Seawind 3000, capable of landing on the ground or on water.

Officials said it was an experimental plane -- thatT is, one company made the parts and shipped them to the owner, who then assembled it.

The plane was registered to Kim Presbrey of Aurora, Illinois, who likely assembled the plane, himself. Presbrey was on board the plane with it crashed.

"It takes a couple years to finally build one, but it's meticulous and you have to be very detail-oriented to make sure that everything is properly put in place," said Dan Frederick, a private pilot at DeLand Municipal Airport Tuesday. "But then the FAA goes through a whole regimen of tests to make sure the airplane is sound."

The plane was built in 2002 and seated up to four people, though only two were on board when the plane crashed.

According to Frederick, the SeaWind is structurally as strong as most airplanes out there. It's made of cloth and fiberglass -- but it doesn't hold up well against fire, which explains why the explosion melted most of the plane.

———————————————
Investigating the scene

Smoke and haze lingered Tuesday outside the Publix on International Speedway Boulevard, near Woodland Boulevard, on the morning after the crash.

It remains unknown how bad the damage is, as no one was able to get inside Monday night to investigate the crash scene, where the wreckage of the plane remains.

The Federal Aviation Administration arrived at the scene Tuesday morning. Officials said they are waiting for the National Safety Transportation Board to determine if the building is safe to go inside and investigate the wreckage.

Investigators estimated around 100 customers were inside the grocery store when the plane crashed right through the roof and into the meat department shortly after 7 p.m. Monday.

The single-engine experimental plane spiraled down and exploded, witnesses said.

Phyllis Gould, who was among the customers inside the Publix when the crash happened, described what she saw and heard:

"Just as I was walking up to the yogurts, I heard a loud boom that sounded like really loud thunder. I happened to look up, and all the ceiling tiles flew out, and I looked over to my right and there was a big huge explosion. And I heard a man yell, 'A plane just crashed into Publix! Everybody run!'"

Jump to: Witnesses describe the crash

———————————————
3 shoppers among 5 injured

Brendan Bietler, a Tampa native and student at Stetson University, was inside the Publix when the plane came crashing through the roof Monday night.

According to a student ambassador from Stetson, Bietler suffered burns on his legs, but was doing well at Orlando Regional Medical Center.

"He said 'I saw it! The Engine just went 'putt, putt' and it feel out of the sky,'" said Bietler's friend Claudia Radke.

Another friend said parts of the burning plane or building burned the sophomore's legs.

“I guess basically, as the plane crashed, maybe the particles from the building or whatever happened must have just burned his leg,” said Bietler's friend Francheska Armijos.

Two other injured shoppers, identified as Lisa Cordova and April Morris, were taken to Florida Hospital DeLand. Both were treated and released Monday night.

Cordova told our partners at the Daytona Beach News-Journal she was thankful her daughter was not with her. She said she had just dropped off the 10-year-old at a nearby YMCA before she went shopping.

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message