randomdude

esoteric sewing questions

Here's a forehead-slapper-

I'm trying to apply edge binding with a tape folder to a rectangular hole in a surface...and I'm having the damnedest time getting it to work. Am I brain-dead or is this actually difficult. No, it isn't for a parachute application.

Also I am having troubles making nice neat corners
when I turn them...hints?

Thanks in advance

Forget the tape applicator. Hot-knife the necessary length of tape you need to cover the raw edge, allowing for a bit of over-lap. Fold the tape in half, lengthwise, by creasing the tape with your finger as you move along. Put the creased tape over the raw edge of your material while it is under the raised presser foot. Line everything up the way you want it and lower the presser foot. At the corners, use a pick to form neat creases and here, you'll have to 'hand wheel' the next stitches while maintaining a neat corner. It's 'tricky' and takes patience. Try practicing on some scrap material first till you get the hang of it. Hope, this helps.

Chuck

I rarely used a tape folder, as I found them to be a pain for most uses. Your use strikes me as one such. Fold by hand instead, and you may find a small flat-blade screwdriver handy to help poke the tape into position when you go around corners.

If you must use the folder, then you are on your own.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Mine was only about $60 and works pretty
well for what I do with it-it's just huge. I
make backpacks, mostly, so for fabrication
they work ok. Good advice here. Aside from
what is in Poynter's PM, are there any
hints for edging 90 degree corners like
on a pocket flap?
Thanks again

This is tough to describe but I'll give it a shot. This is basically how and will take practice to be consistant..

Sew all the way to the corner the needle should be started on it's way down, then manually rotate it back up so the thread is "loose".

Take a small screwdriver under the fabric and inside of the tape. As you turn the piece also pull it "kinda" backwards while holding the tape in place with the screwdriver. Let the foot down. ( this part will take a fair amount of frustrating practice but persevere)

The top part is a lot easier and will fall in place much of the time but if not, put it in place with the screwdriver as well. Turn the flywheel till the needle touches the tape. If it's in place, then continue sewing. When you're finished look underneath to see how you did and adjust accordingly.

Simply cutting the tape off is workable but if you want a quality looking piece of work, then even the cheap folders will help you get the job done.

The expensive ones are great but unless you're mass producing a product, it's not very thrifty.

good luck.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Eagerly awaiting those picsB| Thanks
for helping me out on this one, everybody. I usually use a welted piece of cordura or webbing for pocket flaps depending on what I am doing..but couldn't get around it this time. thanks!

edit:
All squared away on this one, and Mr. McGuire for sure has his shit in one sock-thanks. Having
the pics in this thread would still be nice to
help guide people through-
Thanks again

Just wanted to thank all parties involved for helping me correct my recto-cranial inversion. I know this is asking quite a lot but a "How to use a tape folder to do nifty stuff on edging" tutorial would be better than Christmas. I can understand if this would be an email only thing. Just floating a balloon.

This is tough to describe but I'll give it a shot. This is basically how and will take practice to be consistant..

Sew all the way to the corner the needle should be started on it's way down, then manually rotate it back up so the thread is "loose".

Take a small screwdriver under the fabric and inside of the tape. As you turn the piece also pull it "kinda" backwards while holding the tape in place with the screwdriver. Let the foot down. ( this part will take a fair amount of frustrating practice but persevere)

The top part is a lot easier and will fall in place much of the time but if not, put it in place with the screwdriver as well. Turn the flywheel till the needle touches the tape. If it's in place, then continue sewing. When you're finished look underneath to see how you did and adjust accordingly.

Simply cutting the tape off is workable but if you want a quality looking piece of work, then even the cheap folders will help you get the job done.

The expensive ones are great but unless you're mass producing a product, it's not very thrifty.

good luck.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The trick to folding the bottom edge involves holding your screwdriver at a 45 degree angle while turning the fabric.