Computer virus news

Anyone know anything about this? It started showing up in the news yesterday.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/04/23/hundreds-thousands-may-lose-internet-in-july/?intcmp=features

" For computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections this summer.

Unknown to most of them, their problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world. In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, www.dcwg.org, that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet."
------------------------

That dcwg.org website looks a bit spammy, and on thier "About/Contact" page, it says "How do validate the legitimacy of the DCWG Site?"

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Its legit. Anyone using updated AV software should be good on this but there are still millions of computers out there that are impacted since their owners are not running AV or have not updated it in years.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Its legit. Anyone using updated AV software should be good on this but there are still millions of computers out there that are impacted since their owners are not running AV or have not updated it in years.

Yes, I subscribe to the NANOG mailing list and there was recently a thread on there about this, and at least one of the regulars there had been working with the FBI investigation.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I wonder if this could be the reason SKYRIDE'S sites have been down for the better part of a week. The GOV is being very agressive on this. They'd make one hell of a target! Makes sense to me.

I wonder if this could be the reason SKYRIDE'S sites have been down for the better part of a week. The GOV is being very agressive on this. They'd make one hell of a target! Makes sense to me.

I've been monitoring that for better part of the last week, and have seen no signs of those sites coming back up!
I hope they throw Cary's ass in the pen and throw away the key!

I've been monitoring that for better part of the last week, and have seen no signs of those sites coming back up!
I hope they throw Cary's ass in the pen and throw away the key!

Same here, I hope that the influx of business shows the DZO's who accept the sLyride GC's how much they DO NOT need sLyride or any other middle man!B|
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org