BASE813

2K Comp - FF2 helmet - impact protection

Just wanted to get some feedback on the FF2 from 2K composites for impact protection.

I have spoken to SS at 2K, but I want users opinions of them. I will be using the helmet in a strictly BASE environment, so will be getting bumps and scrapes regularly from just climbing objects, I will also want to have reasonable head protection from "impacts" - what I mean is if i should have a hard landing and bang my head on concrete / a rock or have an object strike and smack my head with a "glancing blow" on something solid - will the helmet give me ample protection?

I know that skydive helmets are not known for their protection, but I like the design of the FF2 compared to getting a mod done to a ski / mx helmet with a camera box for about the same price, but I would like to hear about the FF2 in the field - anyone have some pretty hard impact with theirs?

Thanks

Michael

I will also want to have reasonable head protection from "impacts" - what I mean is if i should have a hard landing and bang my head on concrete / a rock or have an object strike and smack my head with a "glancing blow" on something solid - will the helmet give me ample protection?

I have no experience with the FF2, but considerable experience with composites. Thin laminated composites, especially glass fiber, have very poor impact performance. They are just not made to absorb energy; a hard impact and they will completely delaminate, i.e. become worthless. The carbon fiber variety would be a bit better, but to have any reasonable impact protection, you will need a non-skydiving helmet. Something that is considerably thicker and heavier, or you will need to special order one out of some non-commercial products, such as a G15000/Polyurea composite, which you wouldn't be able to get the G15000 for one helmet for less than probably $2000. The moral of the story is that if you want impact protection, then look elsewhere; such as motorcycle helmets.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Composite helmets (i.e. 2K Composites) provide far better puncture resistance than cheap plastic helmets.
On the other hand, impact attenuation is a function of liner thickness and type. The thicker the liner and higher-tech the liner, the better it protects your head during sudden decelleration.
Have you ever noticed that the best motorcycle helmets are really THICK?

Hi Mac

I've worn the FF2 on about 350 skydives and about 20 BASE jumps (all slider down). It is really strong and durable and does provide a measure of protection (you've seen the video where my poor canopy control in high wind led to a bad landing, was wearing FF2 for that). I fitted a protecting ring for my lens, since this is normally what gets snapped (especially when exiting little Cessnas).

For gnarly jumps I usually wear a polycarbonate full-face Mountainbike helmet. IMHO I'm not sure wearing a camera when doing slider down BASE jumps is worth the strain on your neck. Another consideration being riser slap on a side-mount causing off-headings. I've noticed top mount cameras seem to be more popular among experienced BASE camera types for this reason.

Also, with the exit altitudes you favour it will probably take you a year to build up 60 seconds worth of freefall footage. :P

Will