JohnRich

Hudson River Landing

I can't believe how calm the pilot remained...

One of my favorite all time lines in an interview was when Sully ended up on (I think) the Today show, and the lady (Katie Couric?) ask him, 'Did you pray before you hit the water?', and Sully look right at her and says, 'I really didn't have time to pray, I was too busy flying the airplane'.

To me, it sums up the essence of airmanship. Prayers and good feelings won't get you back on the ground in one peice. Hard work, dedication, good training and professionalism will get the job done.

>To me, it sums up the essence of airmanship.

Compare that to the Air France crash of a few years back, where three pilots screw around for almost four minutes before crashing a perfectly good airplane. One of the pilots (Bonin) gets spooked by bad weather and pulls the stick all the way back, stalling the plane, and holds it there until impact. Despite the computer saying "STALL STALL" 75 times, and despite the other pilot telling him half a dozen times to watch his airspeed and his vertical speed.

Just before impact, the other two pilots are trying to figure out why they're not climbing. One of Bonin's last statements on the CVR, recorded about 30 seconds before impact - "But I've had the stick back the whole time!"

A good pilot goes a long way.

The crash of the Colgan Air Dash 8 in Buffalo several years ago was the essence of poor airmanship. A very marginal captain being watched by a very rookie copilot and neither one were doing their jobs worth a damn. Same thing though, bad pilot stalls plane because of incorrect flying technique.

I think all commercial pilots should be required to have at least a few hours of aerobatic instruction. We make our students do backloops and barrel rolls just to know they can lose control and recover. Many airline pilots have never recovered from a real stall. :|

The crash of the Colgan Air Dash 8 in Buffalo several years ago was the essence of poor airmanship. A very marginal captain being watched by a very rookie copilot and neither one were doing their jobs worth a damn. Same thing though, bad pilot stalls plane because of incorrect flying technique.

I think all commercial pilots should be required to have at least a few hours of aerobatic instruction. We make our students do backloops and barrel rolls just to know they can lose control and recover. Many airline pilots have never recovered from a real stall. :|

My Instructor had me do full power-on stalls. Slow flight at 4K, push forward for take off, high angle, left rudder. OMG!! one of the hardest things I had to master in flying. I would suck cloth seat up my ass while recovering. And, even though it wasn't part of the training, had me do spins.. Those weren't too bad. After the instrument test... thought I'd take some aerobatics... you know how much THAT costs?!?!? Do I look like a doctor? :o
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.