NWFlyer

Farewell to a Pioneer... RIP Sally Ride

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/07/23/157250870/sally-ride-first-american-woman-in-space-is-dead?sc=tw&cc=share

Damn shame. She led one hell of a life.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Too young. There have been so many former astronaut deaths, recently. Just this year we lost Voss and Poindexter.

Some other things about her:

She was married for a short time to fellow TFNG (Thirty Five New Guys - the astronaut class of 1978) Steve Hawley.

She was known in the astronaut circles as the biggest feminist of the bunch, but actually got Gloria Steinem to autograph a birthday president for ultra right-wing astronaut Hank Hartsfield.

She was also the youngest American to go into space (I think she still is) at the age of 32.

She was a remarkable woman who had a lot of pressure on her due to her role as the first American woman in space. I mourn her passing.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

That IS a shame. I really liked/admired her very much. Funny that some say she was such a feminist. In that day and age that's what it took to break into some of the fields that women take for granted now. I used to see a lot of sexism in the FAA but rarely now. It was women like Sally that broke the trail for the rest.

Sorry to see her amazing productive life cut short like that. Blue skies, Sally.

Too young. There have been so many former astronaut deaths, recently. Just this year we lost Voss and Poindexter.

Some other things about her:

She was married for a short time to fellow TFNG (Thirty Five New Guys - the astronaut class of 1978) Steve Hawley.

She was also gay, as acknowledged in her obituary. she preferred to keep that private while she was alive.

Incredible woman. My sister wanted to marry her :)
__

My mighty steed