Namowal

Container Dilemma

Not long ago I won a 25% discount on a new container (base price, of course, not including extras.) It's good until sometime in November.
I'm a noob (70 or so jumps) who still rents. I always figured I'd start out buying used gear... ...but now there's this temptation.

If I take the bait and get a something new, I'll have, well, something new and something that fits me well. On the other hand, it will still cost more (I'm pretty sure) and I'll eventually outgrow it. (I jump a 190 now, and a container that holds that size could also hold a 170 but not much smaller).

So what would you do, if you were in this situation.

(Throwing in the disclaimer that yes, I recognize that advice from "the internet" isn't always reliable, so I may not follow the consensus if instructors and/or coaches suggest I do otherwise. )
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

How many jumps do you have on a 190? How much do you weigh? If you were to consider downsizing shortly, I would suggest buying a 150 perfect fit container, buying a used 170 and fitting it in there, then you`ll be able to downsize to a 150 and eventually a 135 on the same container. (I think)

Otherwise you can always sell the discount haha
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

First step I'd take is to "do the math" on what the actual value of the discount is relative to the dealer price of new. You can compare at your local DZ, or go onto a dealer's site like Chuting Star that has prices listed on the site. Include the base price and all the options and compare it to what you'd pay using the discount coupon.

That will let you know if you're talking about a big chunk of savings, or just a minor savings. Discount coupons are often off of "list" price, which isn't typically what you'll pay in buying through a dealer.

Even with a discount, I'd still say go for used gear anyway. It'll cost you less overall, it'll be less heartbreaking when you have a less-than-graceful landing, and it'll allow you to downsize when/if you decide you want to without having to take the initial hit on depreciation.

(The above advice is assuming you're not an outlier in terms of size - people who are unusually tall or short sometimes have to get a new container because they're not going to find a used container in their proportions).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

After I got my A I bought a new rig. I bought what I would eventually "grow into." Ended up getting a 135-150 infinity container while I was renting a 190 then a 170 until I was comfortable downsizing. Didn't take very long.

I also rented and demoed a 170 Pulse for awhile which packs a size smaller and was able to fit into my container allowing me to use it sooner. Coincidently I love the Pulse and now fly a 150 and will get a 135 whenever I have the cash. So that worked out well for me.

Not saying thats the route to go, thats just what I did.

Good luck with that decision :)
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

If you'll be happier with new gear, and you can afford it, no reason not to get it. Delivery times tend to be sorta long (8 weeks is a pretty _good_ delivery time) so you'll be jumping whatever you have now for that long anyway.

Sizing - If you are on a 190 now (what loading?) then you'll likely be on a 170 by then if you jump pretty regularly. A container designed for a 150 will fit a 170 with some squeezing and will go down to a 135 if/when you are ready for it. Make sure to get a reserve you're comfortable with as well, and remember that Optimum reserves let you go up in size in smaller containers. In other words, an Optimum 176 will generally fit into a space that would usually take a PD160R.

One example here - a Mirage M3 will fit up to a Spectre 170 but will go down to a Pilot 132, and will take an Optimum 176. You could probably get a Spectre 190 in there for a while if you have to (and if it's old.)

If your body shape is unusual (small, tall, unusual proportions etc) then a custom rig can make a big difference not only in comfort but in how you fly.

Not long ago I won a 25% discount on a new container (base price, of course, not including extras.)

You probably " won" nothing since 25% off is a typical dealer discount from MSRP.

For instance, articulated Wings have a $2,150 MSRP. Square one sells them for 1612.50 which is exactly 25% off.

So what would you do, if you were in this situation.

Buy a used rig built for and including a 190 9 cell which I could be jumping next weekend, make 400 jumps or so, down-size no faster than Brian Germain's 1.0 + .1/100 jump limit taking time to follow his and Bill von Novak's checklists under used mains and that container (which may hold down to a 150 unless the closing loop is mounted on a main flap or the 190 wasn't tight), buy a new container/reserve because it'd hold the smallest conventional canopy I'd jump (where smaller would suggest cross-bracing that packs bigger), perhaps down-size a few more times under used canopies, take the time to really learn how to fly one of those canopies and wear out a line set (500 jumps+), then buy a new canopy in my colors since that's about as fast as I'd want to go.