Shell666

Travel Trailer Power Issue

Let me hit on a couple points.

_All of your fuses should be accessible without any major dis assembly.

-The GFI outlet has nothing to do with the 12 volt system.

-There may be nothing wrong with the battery but if it has been completely drained you may have to take it to a true battery store for them to get it to take a charge.

-You are going to need someone with a basic knowledge of electricity who have a test meter and preferably some knowledge of how an RV system works.

-Basic trouble shooting which I think you have done. Assuming you have found all of the fuses and there is power getting to the converter, if the camper is plugged in and the converter is working it doesn't matter if the battery is dead or even there.

-If the converter is dead and you apply 12 volt power to the battery terminals the lights and pump should work.

Most of this info is spread out through this thread. I hope this helps.

You probably know what an inverter is...it changes 12V to 24V.

No, that would be a transformer. An inverter changes DC to AC.

Not always, it could be a switching power supply that doesn't use transformers. :P

Furthermore, I don't believe I've ever seen a transformer that will work with DC. To go 12V DC to 24V DC would need a DC-DC power converter.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

As has was said above the battery need not be in the system at all.In fact I alwas unhook mine when pluged into 120 V if not needing to charge the bttery.
RV chargeing systems are good for cooking batterys
(over charging).
There might be a relay on your converter that has failed.I had one that some times on first plugging in to 120V would not operate the 12V system for a few sec.or min. and then kick in and the lights would come on.Yours may have failed --------if it has one .

Let me hit on a couple points.

_All of your fuses should be accessible without any major dis assembly.

Yes, the are easily accessible and are all okay.

-There may be nothing wrong with the battery but if it has been completely drained you may have to take it to a true battery store for them to get it to take a charge.

Just bought it at Costco in July so I'm going to go exchange it.

-You are going to need someone with a basic knowledge of electricity who have a test meter and preferably some knowledge of how an RV system works.

My dad's friend is going to take a look at things. He's familiar with both!

-Basic trouble shooting which I think you have done. Assuming you have found all of the fuses and there is power getting to the converter, if the camper is plugged in and the converter is working it doesn't matter if the battery is dead or even there.

NO lights and NO pump when it's plugged in.

-If the converter is dead and you apply 12 volt power to the battery terminals the lights and pump should work.

We'll try this.

Most of this info is spread out through this thread. I hope this helps.

Thanks everyone! And thanks, Spence, for putting this all in one reply!
'Shell

Find the converter and see if it has a fuse right there in the converter "box". If so, verify it's good.

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!

Yes, there were two 30 amp fuses on the converter. One was shot! It's all working now. Of course, they don't make it easy to get to those suckers! But at least I know where they are now in case it happens again!

Thanks again EVERYONE for your help! I knew coming here would yield positive results! You're all a bunch of smarty pants!!

:)
'Shell

Find the converter and see if it has a fuse right there in the converter "box". If so, verify it's good.

Yes, there were two 30 amp fuses on the converter. One was shot! It's all working now. Of course, they don't make it easy to get to those suckers! But at least I know where they are now in case it happens again!

Thanks again EVERYONE for your help! I knew coming here would yield positive results! You're all a bunch of smarty pants!!

Be aware Shell, fuses "mostly" blow because something is drawing to much current. If it happens again, then you need to find out what is drawing the excess current.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Be aware Shell, fuses "mostly" blow because something is drawing to much current. If it happens again, then you need to find out what is drawing the excess current.

Yes, thanks, Squeak! We're going to look into that. For not, at least I can put in some RV antifreeze and put the baby to bed for the winter!
'Shell