wmw999

GREAT drive

I'm taking the scenic route from NH to Texas; today I went from Stuart VA to just south of Knoxville TN, mostly via US58. It's called The Crooked Road; many bluegrass and country musicians come from this area. But the drive itself is absolutely stellar -- compares positively with Blue Ridge Pkway and Skyline Drive. Maybe not entirely in scenery, but it's real -- those are real country stores you go past, there are chinked log cabins that aren't reproductions and are still being lived in, real farms, etc.

I cannot recommend this highly enough. It would onlyl be improved by riding it on a motorcycle.

That is all.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I remember taking US64 across the Appalachains (southeast TN-southeast NC between The Smoky Mtns and Highland, NC and it was quite a drive. At one point you drove BEHIND a waterfall, IIRC (not quite sure, because its been over 20 years) and at another point you had a rock wall straight up and a rock wall straight down from the road, with at least a 500 foot drop. :o

Was a fun drive. But the best one I have had was the Big Sur coastal highway from Monterey, CA to Big Sur. Awesome.

Another outstanding drive I've done was the Road to Hana on Maui. Only 40 miles one way, but it takes 2 1/2 hours and you really have to plan a whole day for it or you won't get back to your sleeping quarters before dark.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I love road trips, especially off-the-beaten-path types.

You picked a good time of the year to do it, The color at the higher altitudes should be starting to be good. It's a little on the wet side right now but the next few days should be better. :)
You mentioned a motorcycle, but it sounds like you're in a car. I hope it is an enjoyable one, Just to add to the fun factor.

B|

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9