grasshopper

about mistakes

I did not want to write this in the post "broken body at perris" because we should just leave that without an angry tone. mistakes happen. you are not immune to mistakes. this is why when you are shopping for a first canopy and the rare person tells you to not get that elliptical, to only load it at 1:1, you might want to listen and heed their advice. on smaller and/or elliptical canopies, things happen faster. and if, for some unexplainable reason, you do something like the guy at perris did, you have a better chance of living. don't make the mistake of thinking, well, everyone else jumps a 120, so a 150 is slow. if you weigh over 150 out the door, it is not a slow canopy. look at incident reports. a lot of people die under canopies that are not small and/or elliptical.
BTW, I watched a friend of mine, with about 300 jumps, make a mistake on a sabre 150 and he died, so don't think well, I've got ?? jumps, so I won't make a mistake.

Good advice, Grasshopper ... sorry about your friend. I'm jumping my canopoy (41 jumps on it now) at 1:1, and plan to stay that way for a few hundred jumps. No hurry to downsize/go faster here! It's all so much fun just the way it is now.

so true grasshopper, but a search of the fatality archives will also show that it's possible to kill yourself under even a lightly loaded F-111 canopy (it's been done)...
so remember that whatever you're flying, it needs to be flying straight when it lands, and plan accordingly! :o
Edited by bwilling on 3/2/01 08:03 PM.

I have been working with a Sabre 170 lately. I trained on a 190 and I was shocked at the difference 20 sq. ft. makes. On the 170 I'm loaded at 1.09 and that's really about the limit of my abilities. It comes in much hotter and I'm still doing PLFs while I dial in the flare (basically I keep starting my flare too late). I was standing up every 190 landing and I keep PLF-fing my 170 landings.
I can't imagine strapping on a 150, and that would put me at about 1.2, which is still "low" by many diver's standards.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Poster: Zennie
Subject: Re: about mistakes
I have been working with a Sabre 170 lately. I trained on a 190 and I was shocked at the difference 20 sq. ft. makes. On the 170 I'm loaded at 1.09 and that's really about the limit of my abilities. It comes in much hotter and I'm still doing PLFs while I dial in the flare (basically I keep starting my flare too late). I was standing up every 190 landing and I keep PLF-fing my 170 landings.
I can't imagine strapping on a 150, and that would put me at about 1.2, which is still "low" by many diver's standards.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

i can beat that im going from a 240 to a 150 almost 100 sqft but on the other hand im just under a 1 wingloading on the 150. with all gear on i prob should be on something a little smaller but ive been advised that that would start to get really dangerous. he he soon ill be able to fly a 90 sgft and only have like a 1.2 wing loading

i can beat that im going from a 240 to a 150 almost 100 sqft but on the other hand im just under a 1 wingloading on the 150. with all gear on i prob should be on something a little smaller but ive been advised that that would start to get really dangerous. he he soon ill be able to fly a 90 sgft and only have like a 1.2 wing loading

Skyhawk, I'm not a JM, but I can tell you what they recommended for me. I didn't go directly from my student Manta 288 to my Hornet 190. While I was still using their student gear I stepped down gradually from a 288, then 250, then 230, then a 210. Even doing this I still pulled at 6 or 7k on my first jump with the Hornet (14th jump) so I had plenty of time to get used to it before I had to land it.
The Hornet is also semi-eliptical, so I wanted to get some experience with that.

I did about 34 jumps on the 288 Manta, then stepped down to my 210 Silhouette (loaded at 1:1) ... my first jump I cleared the plane then pulled (probably by 9800'), and just practiced flaring and turning for the whole ride down. Stood up the first landing nicely, and I'm still practicing canopy control on evey jump when the spot is good! Be conservative on your first bunch of jumps when you downsize.

I'm jumping my canopoy (41 jumps on it now) at 1:1, and plan to stay that way for a few hundred jumps. No hurry to downsize/go faster here! It's all so much fun just the way it is now.

HA HA HA,.....I'm not even on a 1:1 yet, hence the self-given name *PLFXpert* if anyone's an expert on PLF'ing instead of standing on her feet, it's me. I've begun to get it though and will be moving down to a 1:1 shorty and plan to stay there for a looooong time. Eventually, I have hopes to swoop so look for me in 20 years in those comps since that's how long it will probably take me to get comfortable and good enough under canopy. HA HA HA.
Something cute is a friend of mine, skydiver girl with about 300 jumps, jumps a 91 square foot canopy..............did I mention it is still only loaded at 1:1 (actually maybe a little more for her exit weight but she weighs 98 pounds.) So it's not all about the size of your canopy fellas, it's how you *load* it.....ha ha ha:)MUCH LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

ok i should clarify that going straight to a 150 was recomemded by ALL of my instructors so it wasnt somthing i just decided to do 1 of them actually was trying to convince me to go to a 135 :-)
carrie have you noticed that canopy size is one of the few things that us guys r proud of being "smaller" than everyone else
plus the fact the smaller it is the more skills you need to use it succesfully :-)

I jumped my Triathalon 160 for the first time today. I am loading it at about 1.1 to 1.2. I am very happy with the performance of the parachute. I had to step a little bit of excess speed off on the first jump because there was little wind, but every landing was great. I can't wait to jump it some more. It is very wise not to get something to small right off the bat. I was jumping a PD-230, then did a few jumps on a 190 and a 170 before I bought my chute. Be careful out there I hate to see people, especially friends get hurt.
Blue Skies,
Adam

Oh yes we all make mistakes the important thing is if you can walk away from it learn from it. Not just talking about skydiving but in general. Seen it too many times in life in different types of sport and living. You don't take heed of advice or warning signs and keep thinking

"It won't happen to me "

your screws and might as well get a gravestone cut now seen it too many time people writing cheques their bodies just can't cash [:/]

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun