skybytch

Seal thread - Cut or tear?

The guy who taught me rigging insisted that seal thread not be cut from the roll. Instead, he wanted it to be torn from the roll by hand - that way you always know you're using seal thread (as opposed to red nylon E thread, which might not break when you want it to).

I was talking to another rigger who was taught to cut seal thread - cutting it leaves a cleaner end which feeds into/through the lead seals easier than the "rough" end you get from tearing it.

Both methods and reasonings make sense to me, but I doubt I can ever break the training/habit of tearing it.

What were you taught? What do you do now?

I always use the same roll of seal thread. It stays in the tackle box that holds all my tools. When I get a new roll I actually do break off a piece to make sure it's what I think it is. It never occurred to me that it was a "method" that other people train.

Great post.
Arrive Safely

John

I was taught to tear it off. I also keep my packing supplies completely separate, and marked, from my sewing supplies.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I'd like to think that any rigger should easily tell the difference between red E, and seal thread when sealing a rig. Having said that, I'm not against back-up safety procedures, such as breaking it by hand.

I just use the same spool of seal thread.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I just break-off however much seal thread I need, moisten the end by pulling the end between the tip of my tongue and lip and run it through the hole in the seal. (Old tailor's 'trick' when threading a needle.) Snip-off the excess ends, close to the knot. Hide the knot in the hole of the seal and press it.

Chuck

Gosh, I always use about 6 turns of the thread so that my pin won't get accidently pulled. So maybe if I had to use my reserve it might be a problem? [:/]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Beezy,
You are so old-school.
You are probably so old that you remember packing rigs before spiral spring pilot chutes - like MA-1s - were invented.

The term "safety thread" did not make any sense to me until an airshow performer brought an antiquated Russian-made seat pack. You are familiar with the scenerio: faded, frayed an filthy, with a drogue, sleeve, rusty KAP-3, exhausted pack-opening bands, etc.
It tok me three tries to get the (soldered) ripcord pins to stay and the only thing holding them in was red "safety tie" thread.
Hah!
Hah!

Beezy,
You are so old-school.
You are probably so old that you remember packing rigs before spiral spring pilot chutes...

I'll tell you about "old school". I still have what I used for a pilot emergency rig when I ran a dz in the 70's. Sport-24 in a B-4 container, but attached to a Perry Stevens sport harness. The lead seal is so old it has turned completely white. It will have been packed 30 years in 2005, so to demonstrate that canopies will still perform as advertised after long storage, I plan to deploy it on it's 30 year anniversary. A couple of years ago I said I'd jump it, but I think tossing a drop test dummy is a better idea (I'm old, not stupid!)

Beezy,

You KNOW some newbie's going to ask why I only use one turn. Of course it's one turn of super tack.

OK, THE ABOVE POST IS A JOKE BETWEEN EXPERIENCED RIGGERS AND NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY BY ANYBODY

Yes, children, we're kidding around here. Do as I DO, not as I SAY!