Nataly

Is higher education still worth it??

So all those people who ask if they should use some of their student loan money to buy gear -- bad idea?:)

Wendy P.

Well, at that age it probably is the easiest lowest interest rate loan that they can get. So, better than one of those 30% interest rate loans that I used to get in the mail back in the day. (Just cash this check...) Not sure those exist anymore.

However, if someone does do that, I don't want to hear it when they can't pay their loans five or ten years later because their job doesn't pay them enough to cover the payments. (I have a friend who regularly posts on fb about her BMW and then about how much she'd love the government to pay off her student loans for her. Um, no.)

The B.A. is the new High School Diploma. Even for some pretty freakin' unskilled labor a lot of employers now require it. Why? Same reason a dog licks its ball, because they can.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/business/college-degree-required-by-increasing-number-of-companies.html?hp&_r=0

Pretty much... since it seems high schools have failed miserably other than as social experiments and exercises in worshiping the local jocks.

Hi Jeanne,

it seems high schools have failed miserably

IMO it was not the schools that failed. It was the parents.

My ex-wife taught for four years. She did not have the authority to flunk Johnny, only the principal could do that, and only with the parents permission.

It is/was the parents that failed.

"What do you mean my kid is not that bright?"

:S

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jeanne,

it seems high schools have failed miserably

IMO it was not the schools that failed. It was the parents.

My ex-wife taught for four years. She did not have the authority to flunk Johnny, only the principal could do that, and only with the parents permission.

It is/was the parents that failed.

"What do you mean my kid is not that bright?"

:S

JerryBaumchen

Well that too. You are indeed correct. It seems so many people in this country have a skewed idea of what the school is there for. It is NOT just a glorified baby sitting service so that the "parents" do not have to perform that fuction in their lives.
The same people bitch about the scores that many asian kids get when tested.... its because they have their parents there right behind them making sure they actually do their school work. They EXPECT their children to succeed so someone is there to take care of them when they get old;)