Freeflysmiley

New canopy

HI folks,

I'm investing in a new rig, have done 70-80 jumps this year and have been comfortably jumping a 185 main, and will jump 170 while I am waiting for the new rig.

Height 5ft 9 , weight 68 kilos with weight belt.

I intend to have this rig for at least 3 years, and have no great ambitions for fast landings, hooks etc as for the next couple of years at least I',m just enjoying the freefall.

I would love some advice on two points

(1) What size is suitable for these purposes I was thinking 150 should be okay, especially as I'm light

(2) As I am not ready/interested in high performance canopy flying, what brand/type of canopy would you recoomend, I was thinking probaly a PD canopy, is there any point in getting say a 9-cell or is a 7 cell fine for my needs??

(3) P.s what is a safe wing loading, and how do u work it out?

Many thanks to you all;)
--------------------------------------------------
Practise the 6 P's!
--------------------------------------------------

Well, you weigh about 150 pounds. Add about 18-20 pounds more for gear, say 170 pounds exit weight.

For your experience, a good 7 cell canopy such as a Triathlon would serve you well. You could probably jump a Triathlon 150. They're easy to handle and are forgiving on small landing errors. If you want a 9 cell canopy such as a Sabre or similar type, you just might want to go with a 170.

Best bet is get a used 170, either 7 or 9 cell, that you'll put 100 - 200 jumps on and then sell it off or trade for a 150 that you can jump for a good while on.

I like to see new jumpers take the conservative approach to wing-loadings...

As far as wing-loadings go, you would be loading a 170 at about 1:1, and a 150 at about 1.13:1. I don't know what most instructors say, but I would not encourage a 1.2:1 or higher wing-loading for anyone under 200 jumps.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

my thoughts on the matter is you should seek out the advice of your instructors at your home DZ. after all, they are the ones watching you fly and land your canopy, whatever it is at this point and time. i would reccomend a 1:1:1 wing for now, which would put you under a 150^2 canopy. may i suggest one of the newer tamer 9 cells so it won't be such a big transition later. Good Luck, Be Safe.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Cheers

Whats the main flight difference between a 7-cell and a 9-cell, apart from descending faster with a 9-cell.which is the way to go?

A 7 cell has a steeper glide rate than a 9 cell. A 9 cell would help you cover more ground on a long spot, but a 7 cell would work better in off-DZ landings in unfamiliar or tight areas. That's generally speaking.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I would urge you to take advantage of the demo programs offered by the various manufacturers. I started my demos with a Spectre 210, then 190, Triathlon 190, Sabre2 190, Pilot 190, before deciding on a Sabre 2 170. The point being that I now have what I Truly want and can handle. As always I would speak to your instructors before ordering a demo that might be too aggressive for you. JMHO
Blues
JIm

hey there, although limited jumps i thought i'd give my thoughts :)

i asked the same questions at the time.

You happen to be exactly the same build as me, except i jump without any extra weight. So lets say you weigh:
150lb + 25lb for kit + 10lbs for weight = 185lbs

so if you're looking for 1.1 loading then a 170 would be more appropriate than a 150.

A common idea amongst my lighter friends who skydive is that they can get smaller canopies because they weigh less - they forget they were weight!