Nimitz88

few questions on a canopy material for a beg.

ok let me make this clear that this is ONLY for research purposes as im trying to learn as much as i can about the gear, why people use this or that etc.

i havnt made a jump yet but obviously plan to or i wouldnt be using this much time doing research

so i know F-111 wears faster because its premable right?

but the main question is.

for a first chute (im learning all about the sizing) what is recommmended F-111 or ZP and why?

and if you had the money to only buy one of the other new. either a new chute or new container which would it be and why?

and what size container for a person weighing 210lbs? (w/o gear) as a first container i was reading an article where it said to buy a small one and a bit bigger chute so that you could downsize your main later down the road w/o having to buy a contaner.

would this be accurate?

just by guessing i would say that i would use a 220 or bigger main correct?

and please dont tell me to go buy gear before i make a jump, because that is NOT my intentions. i do alot of research on anything before commiting and woud like to get a better understanding of why this is popular or a better choice then something else.

I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks

Chad

MWLWN LABE!
- "Come Get Them"

and if you had the money to only buy one of the other new. either a new chute or new container which would it be and why?

I'm assuming when you are done buying you will have a complete jumpable system and not merely a new parachute or new container. As a bigger guy you will always be jumping a larger canopy, in general. I reccomend buying a new container. It will be built to fit exactly your measurements and all the hardware is new. The harness is part of your reserve system and the best it will ever be is brand new.

The container will be sized for whatever size main/reserve you tell the manufacturer you are jumping. The harness will be built to fit you. Don't worry about fitting a future, smaller, canopy in your container. Buy what is correct for your skill level today.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Don't worry about fitting a future, smaller, canopy in your container. Buy what is correct for your skill level today.

I bought my first container so that I could squeeze the size main I was jumping at the time in it, but it was made for the next size down. I know that some people dissapprove, but I didn't know when i'd have the $$ to buy new gear, and how much i'd downsize by what point. Ends up that a little over a year later I have just purchased my first new rig (made for the size canopy I now jump, not the next size down). I think if the reserve is appropriately sized and you can squeeze your main into it, why not go for the next size down if it is your first container? I downsized considerably in my first year and most people probably do that within the first year or two I am guessing.

Just my opinion. If you buy used it probably makes less difference since you generally lose much less $$ selling used gear off.

jmo.
-A

Don't worry about fitting a future, smaller, canopy in your container. Buy what is correct for your skill level today.

I bought my first container so that I could squeeze the size main I was jumping at the time in it, but it was made for the next size down. I know that some people dissapprove, but I didn't know when i'd have the $$ to buy new gear, and how much i'd downsize by what point. Ends up that a little over a year later I have just purchased my first new rig (made for the size canopy I now jump, not the next size down). I think if the reserve is appropriately sized and you can squeeze your main into it, why not go for the next size down if it is your first container? I downsized considerably in my first year and most people probably do that within the first year or two I am guessing.

Just my opinion. If you buy used it probably makes less difference since you generally lose much less $$ selling used gear off.

jmo.
-A

see i was leaning towards buying my container new....so that it would fit really good... and im assuming that since im not a average body size there isnt to much out there in the classifieds (havnt looked yet)

so would throwing down $1,000+ for a container and then a year later or so buy a new one b/c my cute would be to small be advisable?

thats why i was leaning towards what you did....
buying one a size smaller and squeezing in a tighter fitting main.

MWLWN LABE!
- "Come Get Them"

thats why i was leaning towards what you did....
buying one a size smaller and squeezing in a tighter fitting main.

Though I've gotten some disagreement that 7 cells really pack smaller, I went this route by ordering the container to be sized for a 9 cell 210, but am putting a tri 220 in it.

The guy I bought the tri from had been stuffing it into the rig sized for a tri 170 before doing an injury caused upsizing.

There is not much point to buying a new main canopy made of F-111 fabric.
First, it will pack significantly larger than a ZP canopy that lands you as softly.
Secondly, re-sale value of F-111 mains is almost zero in today's market.
Only buy an F-111 main if you get one that is nearly new for next to nothing.
By the time an F-111 canopy has 600 jumps, it is tired.