Shotgun

New car suggestions?

I'm thinking of buying a new car, and just starting to look around, and sometimes I get some good advice from dz.com, so . . .

I want something that is reasonably priced, fuel-efficient, and reliable. Plus I want to be able to put a roof rack on it that would carry a kayak (or two) and a bike rack on it that would carry one or two bikes. The kayak's more important than the bike if I can't have both. I've always carried the kayaks and bikes in a truck, so I have no experience with racks, but I want to downsize from the truck.

Any suggestions?

I rented an all-wheel-drive Subaru while my sister was here, and it was pretty reasonable. Of course, the sports cars I usually drive get sub-20 mpg around town, so pretty much seems reasonable.

An older Honda Accord might work, too. The beater Honda I got for winter driving gets mid 20s (24-26) around town and was sure-footed enough to get me down to the airport in the middle of that big blizzard we had on Friday. It has all season radials on it. I was actually pretty impressed by its performance in those conditions.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

What is reasonably priced to you?

Just a ball park.

Would you lease or do you put more than 12K miles.

I noticed lease options as low as 189.00 a month for Subaru’s. Not a bad options if money is tight.

I always like to buy American you get more for your money but my brain only cares about $=HP.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I've had a Honda Civic since I bought it new in 2006. It still looks new, and generally drives new. Adequate power, it should be OK for a roof rack (I do plan on getting one for kayak eventually). I always put the bike on a trunk rack.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It would be nice to find something around $20K or less, but I might have to go a little bit higher. I do like the Outbacks, but I probably want something less expensive.

I don't think leasing will work for me because I'll probably put too many miles on it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll look into all of those. :)

Food for thought... Keep the truck and...

pickup truck kayak holder

I think we are going to keep the truck, and we can carry the kayaks in it. But I'm wanting a smaller, more fuel-efficient car for myself, and I'd like to be able to carry my kayak and bike on it. Plus, my husband often uses the truck on the weekends, which leaves me with no way to take my kayak anywhere. Our other car is an old MR2 with a sunroof, and I don't think a roof rack would work on that, and I'm wanting something newer and more reliable anyway.