cvfd1399

Kenmore sewing machine info

I got my moms what looks like a 1980's kemore 10 model 158.12511 machine. The thing is brand new, the pedal doesn't have a scratch on it. I searched for a users manule on the net, but only came up with one place. It was a paper instead of a PDF(I ordered it) so I am sitting here wondering how this thing works. It only came with a "quick 3 users guide"( half assed diagram on how to set up the spool bobin and thread)so I have no clue what the stitch patterns are, and what type of oil to use(is 3n1 oil ok?) and where. I had some light 1'' webbing that i started sewing on, and it seems to have a few useful looking patterns. My problem is that I don't know what to call the patterns, so when someone says to use____ pattern so sew something I have no clue what to set the nob on. When I get home today I will take pictures of the stitch selector icons and see if you guys can put a name to the pictures.

For rigging you typically use a straight stitch (Fed 301), and a zig zag (Fed 304, 2 step zig zag (Fed 308)). The straight stitch should be pretty obvious, but the zig zag looks like a bunch of interconnected Ws.

The commonly recommended stitch length is 8-11 stitches per inch for a straight stitch.

Most of those patterns on a home machine are for fancy topstitching.

If you're really curious, stop by a small sewing store. Tell them you want to see a machine that does straight stitch and zig zag and have them run off a few samples for you.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Thanks Like I said I will run a few samples as well as take a picture of the knob to let you guys tell me what setting on the knob-what pattern. From what I played with it will do the straight stitch as well as do the straight stitch 2 times before moving on. It will do what I think is a zig-zag in single and doubles. It will also do something like what is used for stiching on letters for hats and such, just a slow forward moving back and forth creating a wide or narow path of stitching. I will post back tonight

You might check with a local sewing machine sales store or a local seamstress. The Kenmores are rather 'simple' machines to operate and I've found them to be pretty 'rugged'. I learned on my mom's Kenmore. Made my first 'throw-out' pilotchute and D-bag on one. They are sold by Sears... you might contact them about your machine. Their 'home' office is in Chicago. They may have a manual for it. Hope, this helps.

Chuck

My first sewing machine was a Kenmore; it was really good for light rigging work. Much better than the Necchi I have now (good thing I don't do rigging for anyone but myself anymore...).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

here are the pics I took see what you can tell me about the different stitch patterns. Up top it shows the patterns in white and red? , the knob has 4 pictures a red dot and a setting called modifier with a H and L. I know the stitch spacing and presser foot settings.

OK

Red (L to R):
2 or 3 step zig zag. Hard to tell, might be selectable.
Normal zigzag
Right side Blind Hemstitch - For hemming (obviously)
Left side Blind Hemstitch

White (L to R):
I really can't tell what it is. That might be a freehand stitch, or a decorative top stitch.
Not sure about this one either. If its the one that goes back a stitch, its a stretch stich.
No clue.
Button hole stitch. For stitching the edges of button holes. Look at an old coat.

Hope that helps!
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

My first sewing machine was a Kenmore; it was really good for light rigging work. Much better than the Necchi I have now (good thing I don't do rigging for anyone but myself anymore...).

Wendy W.

The only one I have at home is an old Singer 401W, and it is finicky as hell.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

My used bernina was 300 plus a bit of loving, it had some spotty surface rust on the polished parts. They do pretty much the same thing, my model does a 12mm zig zag. There's an external, snap on, cam attachment for 2 step and 3 step zig-zag.

The reall plus is in brute force. I can easily sew things that a 20U stalls on. Perhaps its my hands, but I tried sewing a covered trim tab onto my risers and the dz's 20U wouldn't budge.

The big minus is that parts are freaking expensive. I'm on the hunt for a surplus part machine (mostly for an extra hook).

Bernina made the first zig zag machine in 1938 with the 117L. The 217 was made from 1964 to 1997. The only real difference are the machines from 1976 on up where they added the cam mechanics for custom stitches (like the 2-step and 3-step zig zag).

From what I understand, some sewing machines made for sailmaking, like a class 98 Adler, are Bernina knock offs.

Lengthened 217s are used to sew the carbon and fiberglass booster cones for the space shuttle for Morton Thiokol.
--