regulator

Why was his tow line this long?

Given the nature of how cameras play tricks on us, I'd say there was a probably pretty decent separation (though I would like to have been further).

I've got a picture somewhere of the top of the 182 that was clear enough to see individual rivets, as he banked hard around me. Fucking planes can sneak up on ya!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Because that's how long winch lines are..... you need to get to altitude .. it's not parascending!!

N.B they also do step winching .. so yoy get pulled up to altitude (A), then turn flew down wind (still attached).. then turn again and get winched up some moreB|

F**k that was close [gulp]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Several years ago, I had a glider go directly under me while I was in freefall a ZHills. I didn't see the glider in freefall, however my camera captured it on video. When I opened, the glider was just off to my right. I believe the pilot had blue eyes and was as freaked as I!
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

theonlyski

Given the nature of how cameras play tricks on us, I'd say there was a probably pretty decent separation (though I would like to have been further).

It looked to me like the planes right wing was maybe a foot from the tow rope. Could have been a very bad day for all concerned.

I've "paraacended" (we called it kitting) on a 1,000 ft. rope. That's a really cool ride. From that height you can fly back to the launch site after tou drop the tow rope and be ready to hook up and do again in just few minutes. I don't remember if we thought about a plane running into the rope but we were young and dumb and there wasn't much traffic at Palatka at the time, "79 or "80. We could've run an accuracy meet without an airplane.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Niki1

wing was maybe a foot from the tow rope

Of coarse there's no disrespect or competition here
but
I'd say there's a 130-150 ft between his shoe and the wing.
Now, what's the rope length, I don't know
What goes around, comes later.

Had a friend and his mate who had just launched their hang gliders off a cliff about 1000 feet above the valley floor when a couple of A4 Skyhawks blasted through underneath them.

I doubt the pilots even had time to register them before they were past. I think the boys had to change their underwear when they landed.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

Had a friend and his mate who had just launched their hang gliders off a cliff about 1000 feet above the valley floor when a couple of A4 Skyhawks blasted through underneath them.

I doubt the pilots even had time to register them before they were past. I think the boys had to change their underwear when they landed.

That's why we file NOTAMs :-)

It doesn't stop you getting hit .. juts let's them know where to look for the bodies:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

format

***wing was maybe a foot from the tow rope

Of coarse there's no disrespect or competition here
but
I'd say there's a 130-150 ft between his shoe and the wing.
Now, what's the rope length, I don't know

The plane doesn't have to hit the canopy pilot to ruin everyone's day. Go fly a kite. No, really go fly a kite and have some one run into the string. What happens to the kite?
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

shropshire

*** Had a friend and his mate who had just launched their hang gliders off a cliff about 1000 feet above the valley floor when a couple of A4 Skyhawks blasted through underneath them.

That's why we file NOTAMs :-)

It doesn't stop you getting hit .. juts let's them know where to look for the bodies:P

Hang gliders don't file notams especially out in the boondocks where these guys were. The Skwarqs were on a low level cross country exercise, and being air force, pretty much go where they like. They wouldn't have expected to see Hangliders whwere they were.

I doubt there'd be anything but mince if there had been a collision.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....