kai2k1

Gatorz Sunglasses

What is the best model of gatorz for freefall?

I'm thinking of buying a pair and was wondering what type? I really like the Wraptors, but i dont know if they would fit my face.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Kia, If you plan to do RW or jump with other people, don't wear sunglasses or tinted goggles where the other jumpers can't see your eyes. Just my opinion.

Look around and see if the World Class teams wear sunglasses, then ask your self why no?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Thanks Mar,

When I'm doing RW I always wear clear goggles. But I think I am going to move over to the dark side (freeflying). When you fall as fast as i do, its hard to find other people to do RW with.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

I like my gatorz for everyday wear, but I don't use them for skydiving. They distort your field of view. I did several jumps with them initially. At the end of my swoops I would go to put my feet down and still be a foot farther off the ground than I thought (which strained a knee). FYI

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

They distort your field of view.

Really? I've never had any problem with the 3 pair I have/had. Maybe I'm just used to it and it doesn't cause any problems or maybe you got some shitty lenses...don't know.

I wear Gatorz for everyday wear, I have a pair especially for riding my motorcycle and a pair for skydiving and the only time I don't wear them skydiving is when I'm doing a dusk hop and pop or a night jump. Then again, I'm usually not on any sort of high-end skydive that requires hard-core eye contact and I'm not an AFF-I where (to my understanding) eye contact is very very important.

Those things are tough, they keep the wind out of my eyes and offer great protection. I caught a june bug in the lens doing 80mph on my motorcycle a couple of months ago. Big splat, loud pop of the bug being crushed and no damage at all to the glasses.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Pop um on and focus on something 6 feet in front of you. Flip the glasses up and down and you'll see the object move. At least that was what I tried with them after a couple landings and I percieved the field of view moving up and down.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

So, just because you are not doing RW, you don't have to see each other's eyes?

You know, everyone I know (including me, usually) wears tinted goggles (Wiley-X's, Gatorz or the like), and this has never occurred to me before. Seeing someone's eyes would certainly help you "communicate" better. How come I've never thought/heard of this before?

Kelly

I've been saying it for years and years. How in the world did I miss telling you?

I'm sure there are some jumpers that don't agree with me on this issue, but if you want a true life testimony, PM thighman and ask him how and why I feel that way.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

So, just because you are not doing RW, you don't have to see each other's eyes?

You know, everyone I know (including me, usually) wears tinted goggles (Wiley-X's, Gatorz or the like), and this has never occurred to me before. Seeing someone's eyes would certainly help you "communicate" better. How come I've never thought/heard of this before?

Kelly

Yeah, that's a thing here for us with AFF as well, instructors must wear an open face helmet with clear goggles.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I love my Gatorz.

To answer your question... the best model is going to depend on the shape and size of your head. Try them on. You can custom bend the glasses to be your exact fit, but finding the best model is the first step.

When I went to the World Freefall Convention this year, I tried a bunch on. They had a vendor booth set up. I don't jump in mine yet, but if I did, I think I'd get the converters.

Many of the top freeflyers at my dz wear Gatorz to jump in. Not a problem at all if you ask me. Rarely do we communicate soley with our eyes. Hand signals and reading lips are more important if you ask me.

ALSO... if you are worried about people seeing your eyes, get the lenses that are see through. A simple solution. ;)

Hope my 2 cents helps. :P

Kia, If you plan to do RW or jump with other people, don't wear sunglasses or tinted goggles where the other jumpers can't see your eyes. Just my opinion.

Look around and see if the World Class teams wear sunglasses, then ask your self why no?

I always wear Gatorz under my Z1 when organizing.

I don't need the customers seeing the fear in my eyes.

And if you notice I always make sure I'm as far away from you as possible when we are in the sky together. Hell, for that matter, most times I'm as far away from you on the ground too:ph34r:

And if you notice I always make sure I'm as far away from you as possible when we are in the sky together. Hell, for that matter, most times I'm as far away from you on the ground too:ph34r:

Is that why you keep turning up in my plane on these records then ?

Don't blame yourself. I am a very desirable man after all.

Hey Kai i got the Radiators, and they're ok, i only get a bit of air under them when i do bellyflying, but then i just squint my eyes a little and the gaps are shut. I've never had any distortion issues (they're not adjusted lenses, so they dont distort). The only thing i'd advise you is to watch out for lens colour, as the lens colour can change your perception of contrasts, which in turn can lead you to misjudge distances. I love mine for Flying, apart from my old school clear Sorz goglles they offer the best field of view (and a better, more secure fit).
HTH
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...