3mpire

Amazon Prime Air: flying UAV delivery bots

Eventually . . . maybe. I think there are a lot of problems that would need to be overcome that the YouTube and 60 Minutes pieces simply glossed over.

Amazon today has 96 distribution warehouse spread out across the planet. In order for this drone concept to work, because of the very short range of the octocopters, they'd have to create quite a few more distro centers. My guess is real estate prices alone makes that a barrier that's impossible to scale.

I have no doubt the AI for the robots could eventually make it possible right to a doorstep, but collision avoidance with small unseeables like telephone wires will be an interesting issue to overcome. Also . . . dogs . . . and thieves and a bajillion other things that happen in the real world.

Robot delivery makes perfect sense. FLYING robot delivery could be fast, but is inherently inefficient in terms of energy.

I think we're way further out than 10 to 15 years on this.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm looking forward to going outdoors here on the Front Range in the winter months to watch the Amazon drones trying to fly into the honking winds we get here in the colder months.
Example, todays forecast:

Partly sunny, with a high near 66. Very windy, with a west wind 23 to 28 mph increasing to 33 to 38 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph.

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I'm looking forward to going outdoors here on the Front Range in the winter months to watch the Amazon drones trying to fly into the honking winds we get here in the colder months.
Example, todays forecast:

Partly sunny, with a high near 66. Very windy, with a west wind 23 to 28 mph increasing to 33 to 38 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph.

:D

Indeed. My hexacopter can handle up to approx 20mph wind, and I think it will be difficult to get a whole lot more even with more powerful motors unless the machine is really heavy, when it will likely be outside the weight limit the FAA is considering for "small" UAS.

Of course, the FAA has to get its act together on the entire topic. Right now it's delay after delay.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Squeak

***I'm looking forward to going outdoors here on the Front Range

and
Skeet Shooting:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You know, the town of Deer Park CO is now issuing drone hunting licenses.
You might want to add that to your trip itinerary.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

PULL! ...... boom .. "bagged another one of those blighters Doris .. I think we have a iPad now too"

Even better:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/12/flying-hacker-contraption-hunts-other-drones-turns-them-into-zombies/

Intercepting drones in transit and re-routing them and their contents to a place of your choosing and/or amassing an army of captured drones to do your bidding...

"How fun would it be to take over drones, carrying Amazon packages... or take over any other drones, and make them my little zombie drones," Kamkar asked rhetorically in a blog post published Monday. "Awesome."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHKV01YQX_w

The door tags are going to be more interesting, at least. (see example attached)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke