SkydiveNFlorida

Anyone know where I might come by an Aquabouy?

Why would you want an Aquabouy?

They are not even effective for marking where your gear went into the water. I do not know of any DZs that will accept one as flotation gear when jumping near water; the FAA does not.

Edited to add: No, I know the FAA does not have jurisdiction over flotation devices; the USCG does, and they do not approve the Aquabouy any longer. The FAA states one must use an "approved flotation device", hence my first statement.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Skydive... you're right about them no longer being made. From what I've heard, they only floated well enough for someone to find the body. I bought "Sospenders" for a beach boogie, and found that it worked fine. Came with a belly belt and had no troubles with it in freefall, while doing RW. Freefly might be different.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

While I agree that aquabouys are crap, organizations in some other countries might still accept them as adequate. Example: while in Australia about 4 years ago, it came in real handy to have one to do beach jumps.

Is it wise to jump near water w/o adequate flotation, of course not, but that's a whole other argument akin to using the most minimally protective helmet to ride a motorcycle.

In terms of finding one, I got one through a used gear website. Sunshine Factory, I think. If you need it for a specific jump in a place that accepts them as legit, and promise to get it back to me, I'll loan you mine. PM me if you are interested.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I use a single chamber dual inflation life vest as sold by paragear but cheaper through Chief aviation. I made my own case for the thing and it is about 6 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. Put it on a main lift web or chest stap and it's small enough not to notice but good enough to save your life. Forget the Aquabouy. It was single use so you couldn't test it ahead of time. If you really need floation get something useful.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE