mjrod

Riser Type

One more question on ordering a Wings container. What type of riser assembly do I need and why?
Mini-ring Type 17
Mini Ring Type 8
Large Ring Type8

The canopys are 170 and 230 and the exit wights are 170 and 250

Thanks,

Miguel
<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

Either would be fine, most people opt for type 17 with mini rings.

Type 8 is the wider risers you see around your DZ. They're somewhat stronger, so if you're a big guy, take that into consideration, but you will have a harder time pulling your slider down behind your head, if you're a swooper (doesn't sound like you are).

Type 17 are 'mini' risers, the thin (about an inch wide ) risers you may have seen.

Large rings have more mechanical advantage during a cutaway, small rings look sleeker.

How do you have two different exit weights?

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

This is what I did; I got the Type 8 with large rings, I can always put a mini riser demo canopy on and switch to a large ring demo if I jump one, but I could not put a large ring type 8 riser on a mini ring type rig. I have several riser set ups and the large ring allows me to switch through all of them.;)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Does anyone perhaps know the origins of the Riser type classifications ?
Where do the numbers 8 and 17 actualy come from and what do they mean ?
Are they a measurement or simply a reference index number of some kind ?

During a social discussion around a table recently, two very experienced skydivers quite clearly stated that the Type 8 risers were "mini-risers" and I was not going contradict them by saying that they're wrong because some guy on DZ.com said differently.

Could someone refer me to a PDF or online document from a rigging authority that defines these riser types. I'd like to have something more than hearsay to show if the topic ever comes up again.
-
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.

Does anyone perhaps know the origins of the Riser type classifications ?
Are they a measurement or simply a reference index number of some kind ?

During a social discussion around a table recently, two very experienced skydivers quite clearly stated that the Type 8 risers were "mini-risers" and I was not going contradict them by saying that they're wrong because some guy on DZ.com said differently.

Could someone refer me to a PDF or online document from a rigging authority that defines these riser types. I'd like to have something more than hearsay to show if the topic ever comes up again.
-

Type 8 risers are made for Type VIII webbing. It is 1 23/32 in. wide, has a black tracer line down the middle and is rated at 4,000 pounds. Type 17 risers are made from Type 17 webbing. It is 1 inch wide and is rated at 2,500 pounds. The "type" comes from the old MIL-Spec classifications.

http://www.ballyribbon.com/popmil.htm

Hope this helps.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is some truth to both sides of this debate.

Risers may be classified by ring size, webbing size, etc.

As mjosparky stated, risers may be built from Type 8 or Type 17 webbing.
Type 8 risers are widely available with mini or standard-sized 3-rings.
Type 17 risers are normally sewn with mini-rings.
I have only seen one or two sets of Type 17 risers with standard-sized 3-rings.

Type 17 risers are made from Type 17 webbing. It is 1 inch wide and is rated at 2,500 pounds

I think 2,500 pounds refers to NOT reinforced Type 17 risers. As Bill Booth states, the the reinforced Type 17 risers have a breaking strenght of around 3,500 pounds.

"Reinforced type-17 webbing risers rarely break. They have a new breaking strength of around 3,500 lbs. This is not that much less than type-8 risers breaking strength of 4,000 lbs. The real difference is whether you have mini rings or large rings...and the difference here is in cutaway forces, not breaking strength. While properly designed mini-ring risers can easily release even a 250 lb. jumper in a 3 or 4 "G" spin, the problem is that it is harder to manufacture mini-ring risers correctly. What causes any riser to break is usually a combination of a heavy jumper, a hard opening canopy, and no stretch (Spectra, Vectran, or HTML) line. Broken risers on Dacron lined canopies are very rare indeed."

Source: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1301836#1301836

Type 17 risers are made from Type 17 webbing. It is 1 inch wide and is rated at 2,500 pounds

I think 2,500 pounds refers to NOT reinforced Type 17 risers. As Bill Booth states, the the reinforced Type 17 risers have a breaking strenght of around 3,500 pounds.

"Reinforced type-17 webbing risers rarely break. They have a new breaking strength of around 3,500 lbs. This is not that much less than type-8 risers breaking strength of 4,000 lbs. The real difference is whether you have mini rings or large rings...and the difference here is in cutaway forces, not breaking strength. While properly designed mini-ring risers can easily release even a 250 lb. jumper in a 3 or 4 "G" spin, the problem is that it is harder to manufacture mini-ring risers correctly. What causes any riser to break is usually a combination of a heavy jumper, a hard opening canopy, and no stretch (Spectra, Vectran, or HTML) line. Broken risers on Dacron lined canopies are very rare indeed."

Source: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1301836#1301836

Type 17 webbing is rated at 2,500 pounds. Unless you reinforce the entire length of the riser, it is still 2,500 pounds. The reinforcement is used where the grommet is placed to compensate for the material lost when the whole is made to accept the grommet.

And you forgot one of the main causes of broken risers, even with reinforcement. Lack of maintenance and just plane worn out.

Sparky

Type 17 does have a rated strength of 2,500 lbs., although it usually breaks at just over 3,000. New, reinforced Type 17 risers break at about 3,500 lbs., because the webbing is doubled over. Riser breaks almost always happen where the riser goes around the RW-8 harness ring. The very dull "knife edge" of the harness ring actually "cuts" the webbing.

Type 17 does have a rated strength of 2,500 lbs., although it usually breaks at just over 3,000. New, reinforced Type 17 risers break at about 3,500 lbs., because the webbing is doubled over. Riser breaks almost always happen where the riser goes around the RW-8 harness ring. The very dull "knife edge" of the harness ring actually "cuts" the webbing.

metalslug asked:

"Does anyone perhaps know the origins of the Riser type classifications ?
Are they a measurement or simply a reference index number of some kind ?"

I responded with:

"Type 8 risers are made for Type VIII webbing. It is 1 23/32 in. wide, has a black tracer line down the middle and is rated at 4,000 pounds. Type 17 risers are made from Type 17 webbing. It is 1 inch wide and is rated at 2,500 pounds. The "type" comes from the old MIL-Spec classifications"

skydiverek seemed to want to turn it into a debate on the strength of reinforced Type 17 risers.

Regardless at what the risers "usually" break at, Type 17 webbing is rated at 2,500 pounds. That does not change by build a set of reinforced risers with it.

No argument there. The rated strenth of a length of type 17 is not changed, but the type 3 reinforcement does increase the strength of the actual riser assembly.

(Just to be picky Sparky ;))
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

No argument there. The rated strenth of a length of type 17 is not changed, but the type 3 reinforcement does increase the strength of the actual riser assembly.

(Just to be picky Sparky ;))

You are right, but that wasn't the question.:S