SoCalJumper

“He’s just a very interesting, interesting guy,” the FBI agrees

When Andi Essex got an eyeful of Don Miller’s gigantic basement collection of artifacts he’s acquired from his travels around the world, she was enthralled.

“It’s unreal,” Essex told WISH-TV in Indianapolis, adding that the “full skeleton is what blew my mind” and that her “favorite” was Miller’s piece of Hitler’s bunker.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/03/what-a-91-year-old-man-has-been-keeping-in-his-basement-got-him-a-visit-from-the-fbi/

The 91-year-old is a veteran, former teacher, and was part of the Manhattan Project which created the atomic bomb — and over eight decades has traveled to more than 200 countries, collecting and bartering for artifacts along the way.

“He’s just a very interesting, interesting guy,” Essex told WISH.

Apparently the FBI agrees.

Federal agents took over Miller’s home in Waldron, Ind., about 35 miles southeast of Indianapolis, on Wednesday because they believe some of his artifacts may violate several treaties and could have been “acquired improperly.”

needs to be chasing the most-wanted criminals

Chasing money is what they're doing. Auction off the items off that no one claims, fine the guy for your work, justify your paycheck and bring in some dough for a money-hungry government agency.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

riddler

Chasing money is what they're doing.

Well if they can't prove their illegal, then they can't take anything for resale. And likely it wouldn't be re-sold anyway if it is illegal, they'll be donated to museums, or repatriated to the Indian tribes. If the concern is for the cultural heritage, then an auction doesn't improve anything - it just transfers the artifacts to yet another private collector.

Seems heavy-handed to me to. Taking over a guys house, questioning everything he owns, and they don't even have an arrest warrant. Excuse me? You can't just go on fishing expeditions. You have to allege something illegal, get a search warrant, and then look only for that thing specified in the warrant. You don't get to just go through a guy's entire house and life, looking for something, anything, upon which to arrest him. This is wrong.

Boogers

This is wrong.

"Despite the FBI’s claims, Miller vehemently maintains that he is the rightful owner of every single item and that he obtained them completely legally".

“He is being cooperative, and so far, everything is going well,” said FBI spokesman Paul Bresson.

Good luck with that. This 91 year old man will not have the financial resources nor the time to fight the gubberment over anything they do.

Further regulatory regimes covering exotic and endangered animal and plant material make it dangerous to let the feds anywhere near your high-end guitar or other wooden artifact, and will soon make it unlawful to sell or move across state lines your family’s antique ivory-keyed piano (more here).

P.S. Coverage at broadcaster WISH-TV makes the SWAT-like federal occupation of Don and Sandra Miller’s property (an FBI “command center” and “massive tents” now surround the family’s home) seem even more appalling. Locally famous for his collecting, Miller has been anything but secretive about his holdings, which were featured in a four-part series in a local newspaper.

http://www.cato.org/blog/fbi-seizes-antiquities-first-asks-questions-later

riddler

needs to be chasing the most-wanted criminals

Chasing money is what they're doing. Auction off the items off that no one claims, fine the guy for your work, justify your paycheck and bring in some dough for a money-hungry government agency.

Taking into consideration the cost of the investigation it will exceed any money collected.

Some times people and the government will spend a dollar to save a dime:S:(

The collector is over 90 yo, I can hear lots of I don't remember[:/]

Time to take my nap. I think [:/]
One Jump Wonder

BillyVance

Fucking heavy handed jack booted thugs... needs to be chasing the most-wanted criminals and leave guys like that alone. :|

Damn. I get lifetime ban for bashing cops on SC. Get a gun comment deleted on the current Ft. Hood shooting on BF. But I guess bashing the FEDS on BF is ok. Why didn't this get deleted or moved to SC? Guess I'm not special. B| 321 CYA
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

***Fucking heavy handed jack booted thugs... needs to be chasing the most-wanted criminals and leave guys like that alone. :|

Damn. I get lifetime ban for bashing cops on SC. Get a gun comment deleted on the current Ft. Hood shooting on BF. But I guess bashing the FEDS on BF is ok. Why didn't this get deleted or moved to SC? Guess I'm not special. B| 321 CYA

I would probably hedge to bet its your posting history. The mod team room has a long memory. I should know. Just don't take it personally. I gave that up. If it stays or gets deleted, whoopeedoo. If I get a warning, oops, okay I won't do it again.

I was on my last strike a few years back. One more shenanigans and I would have been banned permanently. But I'm still here. It's their forums, their rules.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

akarunway

***Fucking heavy handed jack booted thugs... needs to be chasing the most-wanted criminals and leave guys like that alone. :|

Damn. I get lifetime ban for bashing cops on SC. Get a gun comment deleted on the current Ft. Hood shooting on BF. But I guess bashing the FEDS on BF is ok. Why didn't this get deleted or moved to SC? Guess I'm not special. B| 321 CYA Welcome to the club, but let's keep it here. I feel at home. Can't go back either. We in mourning for intentional distortion; right?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

BillyVance

Fucking heavy handed jack booted thugs... needs to be chasing the most-wanted criminals and leave guys like that alone. :|

That's where we are headed unless you can educate your local sheriff.

Think they will come after me for hoarding Hitler's mustache brush? Got it from a little old lady.:P
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.